Email Servers for New Cluster

brawney

Perch
I was just testing the new email server on the new cluster. When receiving via POP3 it works very fast. But when sending via SMTP it takes like 20 seconds to connect. Once connected the email is sent and received on the other end very quickly. Why does it take so long to connect?

Second question, the email looks like it is being routed from servers at superb.net which is a host in Canada. I thought our servers were located in PA, not Canada. Can you explain?

We're looking into the SMTP connection delay problem.

That is correct. We decided not to setup these servers in PA but in Virginia with Superb.net. They have a far more superior network (http://nsssc.superb.net/information/dca2net-info.php). International customers were experiencing connection related issues from the PA datacenter

The reason I didn't want to make this announcement was because people may think this is yet another datacenter shift with downtime. We planned to make it after the shift. The way we are carrying out the shift is totally different so there is no question of downtime here

Our FAQ page has already been updated

Thanks Yash. This sounds good to me. I didn't think to look where my web server was located, but I see that everything is now near DC. Thanks for the detailed information.

Just an update. We are still looking into this SMTP connection delay issue. It appears to do something with reverse DNS. Our administrator is still looking into this

Back