Email services

DavidH

Guppy
I am looking at the reseller package, is email hosted on the same web servers? do you have redundancy for the email servers?

Hi

no, the email server runs on a separate linux box. We currently do not have redundancy for the email server but our email server is one of the most stable server in our cluster with outages being very very rare. in the last 1.5 years, I can only recall 2 or 3 incidents where we had a mail server issue, both being resolved fairly quickly

Ok, thanks. Email is critical to the smooth running of our business', all of which are based in the UK, is this going to pose a problem? Would there be any gain from hosting the email in a uk cluster? would dns be a problem with this?

I do not think you'd gain anything hosting email in a UK cluster. It really matters on the sort of connectivity and infrastructure the hosting company has to ensure 24x7x365 operation of their email server. Location doesn't matter.

I do not know in what way you believe DNS will be a problem. Could you please elaborate

My only concern, (and i dont know whether it is justified or not) is that in the event of instability with the pipe to the US we might lose email, with this in mind i were thinking about hosting email in the UK, but then the mx records would be held on the dns servers stateside anyway?

Do you have many UK clients?

This is a first step into this line of business and could really use as much information as you can offer.

We have quite a number of UK customers

Our main tier-1 provider (level3) has their network in the UK as well. I've never seen any connectivity issues between the UK and ourselves. The only issue we've had so far was one with the ISP BlueYonder.co.uk and which was resolved fairly quickly once a customer reported it to them

Back