External Email Hosting

dman

Perch
Hello,

I have various clients using Gmail, Exchange, and other externally hosted email services. This generally works quite well after setting up custom MX, CNAME, and TXT records but I'm a little unclear of the recommended setup at Jodo and HSphere. My goal is to make absolutely certain that all email is routed to the new external email service. In the past I have done the following:
  • Setup the MX, CNAME, and any TXT records as recommended by the external email service.
  • Then either delete the Jodo email accounts or disable all Mail Service for the domain in HSphere.
Specifically I'm not sure about the following:
  • When using external email services, should I turn off the "Mail Service" in HSphere for the domain?
  • OR, should I remove the email accounts from HSphere and the Built in MX Records?
I've looked thru some older forum posts but can't seem to find definitive answers to the above questions. Is there a link to a forum thread or support article that outlines Jodo's configuration recommendations for using external email services? Maybe we can have a sticky thread for future reference if I forget again? Thanks!

The basic concept to use external mail server for a domain is :

1) Disable mail services in H-sphere control panel for that domain.
2) Then Create an A record for clients mailserver IP, like mail.clientdomain.com A 11.11.11.223.
3) Next create an MX record like:

clientdomain MX mail.clientdomain.com

Please check this url for more details :-

http://hsphere.parallels.com/docs/3.2/user/html/14158.htm

Note :- Disable mail services of a domain in H-sphere control panel will automatically delete all mail boxes in control panel of respective domain.

Hey Shubham,

Thank you for outlining the recommended procedure for me again. I thought I should disable the mail services but wasn't sure. Everything is working as expected. :)

Back