Help with new VPS required

groo

Guppy
Hi, just set up my first VPS for testing purposes but I'm afraid I can't even log in to it!

IP is 204.14.108.201 which I can't ping, should this be possible?

Not sure if I can't log in because I can't ping IP, or I can't ping IP because I've not logged in yet and installed any applications!

Any help appreciated

David

Hello David,
A few things, VPS can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours to "install" the OS on the system.
Second, sometimes the setup does not set the default gateway on the IP, so it won't ping.

After that, SSH will be running, and a very base set of services, with SSH you will be able to install programs you need.

So in short, if you just created it, wait a couple hours and give a try, if it has been the long already, submit a ticket and a tech will check the network configuration on the VPS to make sure it set properly.

OK, I will give it another couple of hours (probably been 1-2 so far) and try again then.

Thanks for the quick response

David

Is Vps working better now??

I tryed VPS a few months ago, and had some issues, so decided not to use it. I was getting charged for overlimits and memory/space counts were always wrong.

Tanmaya worked on it with me, but I guess Psoft was having some issues with VPS back then, so I gave up with it.

How is it now, is it solid and be safe to sell to clients??

Hello,

The FreeVPS will always have problems with overlimits on processes if not enough processes are allocated to run the base system :)

They have replied a few times saying that the resellers are giving so few processes, the base OS can't even run, that may have been the issue there, I am not sure about the specifics of your case.

Most of my issues were it wasn't stable and kept getting erros in certain errors in the control panel, and also got charge a few times for over limits when I just installed a test account.

Maybe I should wait to use it again then.

WebDesignSlave - I am really doing this for testing as well. Any pointers I should watch out for?

I am trying to bring up two VPS accounts to test 1. OpenVPN and 2. SugarCRM

Is this a fine art?

Thanks,
ATM

Some of the issues I experiance are. Please note this was about 3-4 months ago, so probably most of these issues have been corrected by Psoft.

1. It seemed usuage levels for memory and space was not always correct, and I got charge for overage of memory usuage with a fresh install.

2. In the control panel certain pages came up with a Error and could not be found. I don't recall what pages these were, I think Change of Password was on of them and the Usage page for the memory,space etc.

Also be aware a VPS account I believe takes over 400mb of space just to install it. I am not sure if this was a issue or if this was normal, but the fresh install I did was appox 430mb of space used.

Maybe someone can verify the space it normally takes to install a VPS account. I do believe 400-430mb is normal.

Please let me know when you test your accounts how they go.

:)

1. Make sure you have proper limits specified in your plan.
2. This worked when i last checked. Will check again.

With a VPS you have your own install of the OS except for the kernel. This is what takes 430 MB of space. You can always remove a few packages here to save some space. But to run a server of you need most of these packages.

Have you gotten OpenVPN working or seen it working. I want to set up a remote sort of network between locations and thought it would be neat to run it off the VSP... I gave up once i ran into a mountain of troubles with the old CentOS.

Back