How many VPS?

ibrah

Guppy
I have a language software to be used on a windows network. It has a server part and client part. It can run on win 3.1, win 95, win 2000, win xp and win 2003. The important thing is that both the server and client should be in the same workgroup on a network.

I would like to subscribe for a VPS. Do I need two VPS's or one VPS with virtual PC? In the case of the best way, how the networking can be setup?

Thanks in advance.

Two WinVPS accounts would be in the same network/workgroup automatically.
The client and server software can run on the same VPS account as well.

I'm a little unclear on what exactly you are trying to achieve. Wouldn't the client software be connecting to the server software from.. client computers? If so, you host the server software on one VPS account and the client software should be able to connect to it from any computer in the world, as long as its using TCP/IP... No need for them to be same workgroup

I'm a little unclear on what exactly you are trying to achieve. Wouldn't the client software be connecting to the server software from.. client computers? If so, you host the server software on one VPS account and the client software should be able to connect to it from any computer in the world, as long as its using TCP/IP... No need for them to be same workgroup

On a LAN , with one user licence, the language software requires two computers, one for the server and another for the client. On the internet a user will connect to the client computer which will communicate with the server computer. In the case of 2 concurrent licences, on a lan, the software reguires 3 computers, one for server and 2 for clients computers (users). Over the internet, the setup is 2 computers: one for server and another for client. The users can share the desktop of the client computer. THIS IS THE CASE WHEN THE HOSTING IS DONE BY MYSELF! So if Jodohost is doing the hosting for me, I don't know the most economical way since I am not an IT professional.

I think what Yash said still rings true from your license description. The internet description is one server and one client. The 'Server' is the computer at JODO, then the client is the end-user machine.

That said, your other scenario, with people connecting remotely to the desktop of a single client machine would work. But who wants to have to remote into a machine to use software? Sorta defeats the purpose of having client software...

Tim

I think what Yash said still rings true from your license description. The internet description is one server and one client. The 'Server' is the computer at JODO, then the client is the end-user machine.

Tim

SOME CLARIFICATIONS: The license of the language software requires that the server and client be installed on the same network. The client part of the software cannot be installed by end-users without sending the full CD to them, which also goes against the license agreement. So, the best way is to have both the server and client at JODO, and end users can run the program by remote desktop or web connection.

That said, your other scenario, with people connecting remotely to the desktop of a single client machine would work. But who wants to have to remote into a machine to use software? Sorta defeats the purpose of having client software...
Ever used Microsoft Virtual Labs for example ? :)

So the client is used as a sort of a proxy that other clients will use, to connect to the server via it?

I'm pretty sure you can deploy both the server and the client on the same account. If that doesn't work, you can open up a second account and I'm sure we can get them to work as if they were on the same network..

So the client is used as a sort of a proxy that other clients will use, to connect to the server via it?
QUOTE]

YES! On a LAN, a client computer is the same as end user computer.

I know for sure that the software cannot run on a single computer; it has to be on a network of at least 2 computers. Or one computer with virutal PC as aguest host.

If you still believe it can be installed on one account (1 vps), please give instruction how to setup the network.

If you know for sure, then you know better :)
If you do signup for two VPS accounts with us, we'll definately assist you in trying to get it set up and working

Back