Hsphere 2.5 When?

isn't H-Sphere 2.5 Patch 7 stable ? Psoft is working on Hsphere 3.xx

I would like to know when will be installed H-sphere 2.5 and when we can offer Microsoft Exchange services

Thanks

WE likely will not use 2.5 at all, we will jump right to a higher version.
2.5 does not have a number of items we need in order to upgrade on the windows side, while it "has" asp.net 2.0 support is does not allow the user to switch and just forces all one version or another.
There are also other factors that prevent us from upgrading that have not been addressed yet in the area of FTP/SubFTP on windows, yes it is available on 2.5.1(renamed 3.0) but it is also done in a very bad way, that would result in some major problems in regards to data security. They are still working on this at the last update.

2.5 doesnt offer switchable versions, but it is good to see them finally plug that major hole they had :) 3.0 has a rc release in private that has a similar fix. Just FYI.

2.5 won't be, as it does not support things we must have in order to switch, like asp.net 1.1 and asp.net 2.0 being able to be set by the user.

The upgrade process to get to 2.5 or 3.0 will mean a significant downtime for each server, will have to be well planned and users will need to know to expect this downtime, as it will not be an in place upgrade. It is very hard for me to put it into terms of users that don't know the hsphere admin backside, but the whole authentication system that has been in place for years with pre 2.5 is changing, and it can cause some serious side-effects. We have to mitigate these before we take the plunge, as well as test them fully in our beta cluster.

When is JH going to start catching up with PSoft? It seems to me the further they lag behind the longer the actual upgrade will take. Any ideas?

From experience.

I just moved from another company who did finally move to 2.5 so they could support ASP.NET 2.0 (because they couldn't or didn't figure out how to do it on 2.4 like JodoHost did.)

To say it broke things is an understatement. And guess where things broke the most? The 'Nix side of the business. Ha!

All of the features I was waiting for from version 2.5 JodoHost already supports directly or indirectly. The upgrade, when it happens will almost certainly cause downtime. I'd prefer to go through that once rather than twice if at all possible.

Any response from JH on a timeline for upgrading HSphere? We are now 19 builds behind. I can not imagine that is going to get any easier by waiting for even more builds.

Sorry, I have to add in my 2cents.

While we have the ability to manually request ASP.NET2.0 and we have some workaround for MSSQL2005, it is a pain and causing delays when we need to test and upload .NET2.0 sites. We have taken the plunge and crossed right over to .NET2.0 and enjoying all the benifits. We will be ready for the ASP.NET3.0 release. I notice also on Hsphere 3.0 that SharePoint services are also supported. We would love to test all the features out but stuck with the rather dated v2.4.

Can't Hsphere3.0 be installed on a new server? and allow those of us that want it create an account on it and take it through it's paces. I won't mind risking any issues that may occure until Hsphere3.0 is fully patched.

I remember asking support months ago about when 2.5 would be in place and the answer was always "very soon". I believe this is as important as any hadware or OS upgrades and if you guys were still running Windows Server 2000 (fully patched) I wouldn't have even bothered signing up. I have two reseller accounts with two seperate providers. I was going to discontinue one in favour of having all accounts on Jodo and hence I have recently upgraded my Jodo account but do I have to now look for an Hsphere 3.0 provider instead so we can move ahead in our business?

This is not a threat. It is just that I don't want to keep waiting and waiting for a CP upgrade and this is the only issue I currently have with Jodo.

Cheers

t but do I have to now look for an Hsphere 3.0 provider instead so we can move ahead in our business?

I have to say that I did find another host that offers Hspher 3.0 with Exchange and Sharepoint services so I could test them out and see how they work.

So far I've liked the services, but don't like the company or their support or having to pay another provider so I can still give services to my customers.

I think its time for Jodohost to do something about lagging in the services that they're offering.

Those of here at Jodo want to remain at Jodo, but we have to do what we have to do for our clients and our businesses...

Again, not a threat, just a reality.

We like to see that done as much as our customers. Our first and most important concern is that you and us do not lose customers. We had been considering various options to offer this as soon as possible but without (or very little) disturbing end-user customers.

If you review our past actions, we plan everything in great details. Many times, we executive that plan separately from live environment before implementing it.

Based on above approach, we had taken a decision, some weeks ago and since working towards it. We have already spent considerable amount in this process. Once we are satisfied with our approach, announcement will be made.

Atul, what does that mean exactly in terms of time going forward. You mentioned "we had taken a decision, some weeks ago and since working towards it". I have to assume you mean a decision was made to proceed with the "upgrade", so where do we stand with that. If on a scale of 1 being the starting point and 10 being the completion point, are we at, say, 5? If we were at 5, I could then assume that it will be several weeks to a few months still down the road from seeing any upgraded offerings from my perspective.

To be honest, I still don't have a clue as to when H-sphere and the included services will be upgraded. It really has been a bit embarrasing, on my part, that I cannot field any questions regarding the above from a standpoint of being informed.

A clarification or some added details as to when you expect or plan on an upgrade roll out would be extremely helpful for not just answering questions, but also for planning future offerings on my part as a reseller.

Thanks

manopb,

We can not simply upgrade at this point, we are having to migrate some servers etc, in addition 2.5 brings nothing significant at all, 3.0 is really the only place were there are options, and even it is sadly lacking in many places. We are doing a whole lot of prep work, some visible some not. So far the upgrades on large clusters have not exactly fared well, we are doing everything in our power to prevent 20+ hour downtimes in the upgrade.

It is hard to say publicly as I don't want to overcommit, but we have good progress and an alternative progress as well :)

Back