Installing Dottext blog.

How am I supposed to run the dottexthelper.exe utility to create a blog ?
Is there any other alternative when installing on a shared hosting ?

fischermx said:

There are definitely other blog solutions that will work in a shared hosting environment. I don't know all that much about dottext other than I haven't like what I have seen. Is there any reason you feel you need dottext vs another product?

Here is a site you can go to that has some reviews and demos and such regarding blogs, cms, and other items. http://www.opensourcecms.com/

Hopefully this may help you find some other options.

fischermx said:

Oh... you could also use the free online service from http://www.blogger.com. Instead of using their free hosting area you can simply have it post to your shared hosting account. I have several clients that do this and love it. Just another option and it is free.

I don't have any preference about dottext, actually, I hate how the information about it is so spread. They are supposedly sponsored by the guys that makes the forums, but you go there and find nothing, then you go to the author's blog and found just bits. It comes with no instalation or reference. I'm not stupid, just I don't think that how software is done, yeah, I know that's free, but still you have to document what you do and how to work with what you do ... <sight>

Now, I found dasblog, that's a bit better regarding instalation, it was very simple and I have it running in 15 minutes. But I don't find archive options, I guess they don't have it.

Now, about using blogger, i don't get it, do you mean, to forward my blog's url to them ? Well, the thing about looking blog software is that I want to have control over my writings.
I want to use it as CMS to repost as articles later in other website, so I want to "own" the files or databases that holds the writings.

Do you mind to tell me what exactly you didn't like on dottext blog softtware ? :)

fischermx said:
Do you mind to tell me what exactly you didn't like on dottext blog softtware ? :)

Well for one... the reasons you gave at the beginning. You can't find crap about it. That's a red flag right there. I like the opensource / free thing, but I don't feel very good about it without a large enough following so I can trust it isn't going to just drop off the face of the planet.

fischermx said:
Now, about using blogger, i don't get it, do you mean, to forward my blog's url to them ? Well, the thing about looking blog software is that I want to have control over my writings.
I want to use it as CMS to repost as articles later in other website, so I want to "own" the files or databases that holds the writings.

My understanding is you use their software and so on. Anytime you make a post it posts it to your site (a site you have told them to go to) if you aren't using their site. I am not sure if they are using a database or just storing things in flat files or what. Someone else may be able to help there. When you make a post and it goes to your site you have the content at that point. I believe it is all stored in html files.

G.

I host a very popular blogger site, and it uses blogger.com, it all shows up on his site, and I think the only time there are isues is when posting if blogger.com is having problems.

Back