intermittent down times

Status
Not open for further replies.

-------------------------------------
post by Yash (Customer Support)
The following issue was due to an issue in our switch which was resolved promptly. Details are available here:
http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?p=16849
---------------------------------------

HI!

So far JODO HOST has been fairly stable. But recently I have noticed intermittent down times. Is it just me?
For example win6 server doesnt seem to be running right now.
Any one else experiencing this?

atomi

Yes, even Win7 is experiencing downtimes from the morning. I am expecting mails and I am not able to connect to the mail server. Is any one looking in to this????

The interesting thing is that I am not even able to access jodohost.com. Though support.jodohost.com is working without problems.

I am not able to log trouble ticket because I can't access my control panel! :(

Can someone from JodoHost please clarify the situtaion??

My system shows Win5, Win6, Win7 not responding to pings and SMTP and POP3 not responding on Mail. According to my system, these have been down since 2:56PM Eastern.

dotnetkid said:
Is any one looking in to this????

Most likely. They always seem to be on top of problems nowadays. Shame these problems arise in the first place though. No matter how 'short', outages cost my clients dearly, and sometimes cost me clients.

Having said that, Jodo have given some pretty damn good service over recent months. I suspect this is a glitch and nothing more...

Yup, another outage for me too. And only one day after my server couldn't connect to the Mysql server.

Guess it is good that I have come to expect this (although I have to say things have been relatively good since February) but each downtime still is frustrating and brings back old memories I would rather have been erased from my mind.

:(

Someone had logged into our APC unit and powered down the servers. We have now implemented a security layer around access to our APC and KVM xwitches

Yash,

If the servers go down as they did, would the email server also go down and therefore would we lose emails?

Bruce

SMTP servers store messages in there queue for some
time(as set by the admin), if the destination mail server
is down. It make retries to the mail server at some
intervals, till it exceeds its queue lifetime.
So, with downtime of some minutes (or even hours)
your mails are not going to be lost.

Im lucky my site(s) isnt completed. Its scary to think this may happen again when my site(s) is at 100%

Security Layer? ===> a deep moat with gators barbed wire cement/steel blocks and some anti air would do nicely please thank you.

atomi

bgriffin said:
Yash,

If the servers go down as they did, would the email server also go down and therefore would we lose emails?

Bruce

No, you will not lose incoming emails, generally mail servers tries many times over long period of time to deliver the message.

I am very sorry about this

I had a very long discussion with the CEO of the company our servers are in about these network problems. Almost all the issues we've been having our network related. We should have a permanent solution in place very soon

Regarding the security failure on the APC switch, that was fully investigated by our team and the team at the datacenter. The guy who hacked into the APC system (its the remote power system for our servers) also erased the log files. At the moment, we have restricted access to our network to that system and of course changed passwords. Such an incident shouldn't happen again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back