Log file question

Dave

Perch
I notice that AWStats seems to create a log file. Does AWStats read the IIS log files, or just its own? Or is it creating a file from IIS logs? If it uses its own, is there any point to leaving the IIS logs enabled?

Thanks

I guess no one here knows anything about these log files. Does anyone not have IIS logs on but have AWStats running?

Dave said:
I guess no one here knows anything about these log files. Does anyone not have IIS logs on but have AWStats running?

Since the installation of the new version of Control Panel, Jodohost is running the H-Sphere log plugin. The log file it produces is similar to, but not the same as, the raw IIS logs.

I'm not sure, but I imagine that either stats package (webalizer or AWStats) require that logging be enabled.

riley

I believe that Awstats is configured to use HSphere's logs. I need to confirm this though with PSOFT.

Yash said:
I believe that Awstats is configured to use HSphere's logs. I need to confirm this though with PSOFT.
Is there an update on this issue? There's no particular rush since there is currently no adverse affect. But it would be nice to have clarification so that if it turns out IIS logs are not being used by AWStats, they can be turned off and the extra space recovered.

Thanks!

the logs are used by AWStats, I got that from psoft who said that the logs must be on for awstats to generate stats.

Stephen said:
the logs are used by AWStats, I got that from psoft who said that the logs must be on for awstats to generate stats.
Thanks for the update, Stephen. Just to clarify... are you saying the IIS logs have to be on, or the logs used by AWStats are the ones it generates? I notice that since I turned both on after the HSphere upgrade, the IIS logs are up to 69 megs while the AWStats log is 135 megs. Just wondering why, if AWStats uses IIS logs, it creates a log file almost double the size on its own.

Also, since I've just noticed AWStats is creating this log file, it is just one big file. Does it just keep getting bigger and bigger, or will it create a new log file at the beginning of the next month?

Thanks again!

EDIT: Just a quick correction. The AWStats log is 153 megs, not 135, so it is actually more than double the size of IIS's.

WOW!

that is quite a log, I will again inquire about more details on the logging, as you say, that is massive.

Stephen said:
WOW!

that is quite a log, I will again inquire about more details on the logging, as you say, that is massive.
Latest update since I have not gotten a definitive answer on this issue:

I just checked the AWStats file again. I noticed that it is called awstats_archive.mydomain.jodoshared.com.log (186,163 KB). I don't know if that was what it was called before. I noticed this time I also have a second file awstats052004.mydomain.jodoshared.com.txt (65 KB).

I also have 86 MB of IIS logs.

All of these logs have been generated only since the HSphere upgrade. I think I started them on May 7. I don't have a particularly busy website, so I kind of think 267 MB of log files for about 3 weeks is excessive.

I can see that my 400 MB of webspace isn't going to be big enough to hold much more than one month's worth of stats at a time.

EDIT: Not that it makes too much difference, but I also see I have a file called awstats.log that is 3.6 MB.

This seems to be a pretty dead issue since I am getting no response lately. The awstats_archive file is now over 200 Megs which is 50% of my webspace. That's for 3 weeks worth of stats. Does no one else have AWStats running on their sites? Am I the only person who is getting this gigantic file created. It is located in the AWstats directory in my domain directory.

I thought AWStats was supposed to be this great software that everyone was drooling over in anticipation of getting installed. Seems like a piece of crap if I have to put up the generation of massive files such as this.

Dave, I've not seen this issue with other customers. I suggest you turn of AwStats, delete the logs and then re-enable it. Let's see how it goes

Yash said:
Dave, I've not seen this issue with other customers. I suggest you turn of AwStats, delete the logs and then re-enable it. Let's see how it goes
I don't really have a choice in the matter, since the IIS and AWStats files now occupy about 275 MB. Trying to see how much space my control panel says I have left, but it is not coming up. I was also hoping to get a definitive answer about whether or not I need the IIS logs on in addition to the AWStats logs. The only course of action I seem to have is to delete files and see if I lose my stats, or see if AWStats stops generating with IIS logging off. Figured someone might actually know how these tools work.

Could we just zip up these IIS logs for you so that 1. you would not loose them, and 2. it would be smaller if you wanted to download and save them locally?

Psoft is not giving many details on the new logging and AWStats setup, we don't have documentation on that yet, hopwfull iy will come soon and we can know what to do with it better.

Stephen said:
Could we just zip up these IIS logs for you so that 1. you would not loose them, and 2. it would be smaller if you wanted to download and save them locally?
Sure, that sounds like a good option. Could you please zip the 210 MB file in the AWSTATS folder residing inside my website's directory.

Thanks!

Please send me a message when you've had a chance to zip that file, so I'll know when to recheck my stats to see if they've been adversely affected. Hope it can be done reasonably soon, as it's now 218 MB and growing.

I still can't believe no one else using AWStats is having this problem. I can't see why it would affect only one person.

Stephen said:
Since you made the offer and I accepted, I hope someone is actually going to do it. The file is now 233 MB!

If this is an unusual situation, which the indications are that it is, isn't there something someone could check to see why this archive file is getting written in the first place? What is it that it is archiving?

Dave, I'm very sorry
I'm not sure why Stephen has not got back to you but I'll do this immediately for you

What server are you on and what's your user directory?

I think I'm on Win5 (it's been a long week for me... brain is tired). The directory that the file is in is voices-for-change.jodoshared.com/AWStats

Dave,

I am sorry I missed this post! I was checking in and vB for some reason was not showing the little icon idicating a new post was made, and sometimes I really depend on that.

The zip is made, and the non compressed file is going to be deleted in about 5 minutes, if there is a problem we can uncompress the log.

Back