Mail1 Scheduled Maintenance 10PM EDT

Stephen

US Operations
Staff member
Mail1 will be down for 15 to 30 minutes at 10PM EDT(GMT-4)
We are doing two things, upgrading to newer faster CPUs and replacing a hard drive that has failed today

We believe after the CPU increase(again), and the replacement of the hard drive that has alerted to failing we will have mail1 back in order fully.

I would like to note, that this drive that failed is part of a RAID array, and all data is intact, the IO speeds are just lower.

We checked the drive status as soon as mail1 showed mail slowdowns and had no reports of drive failures or running degraded. They only came today, but we suspect they may have been happening for the last 2 weeks or so behind the scene being corrected by ECC in the RAID controller card.

This maintenance is done, the RAID array is rebuilding during this time webmail and POP3 will be disabled, we will re-enable them at the earliest time possibly after the rebuild. It will be between 3-6 hours on the RAID rebuild.

The raid rebuild is not yet complete, but we will be enabling pop in next 1 hr to see how it will effect load, and may have to turn it off if it is going to slow the rebuild considerably

I enabled pop on the server for 15 mins but due to a cron running on the server, I was forced to again disable pop.I noticed a increased system I/O wait and server load which were causing raid rebuilding process to go slow. I'll give it a try once these crons are finished.

Considering lots of customer trying to contect through POP and RAID rebuild still progressing, CPU load so far is within reasonable limits.

Everything seems to be under contorl since my last post. Mails sent form this server can be found at desitination in very next moment and same in case of recieving. But we will keep a close eye on it.

Back