mailing list problem

Logan

Perch
I have created a mailing list and want it to be moderated. That is, I want to be able to approve all the posts to the mailing list. I went through the mailing list options and think I set the right ones:

Message Moderation = YES
User posts only = YES

However, if a user sends a message to the list, it is then sent immediately to all subscribers.

Any idea which options I got wrong? Or maybe I don't understamd how this supose to work.

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. I forwarded your question directly to the HSphere Support team yesterday and I'm waiting for a response from them. As soon as I receive something, I'd get back to you.

Yash said:
I think you forgot to have a look at this:
http://jodohost.webmastertoolkit.co...topic=&category=0&author=&days=0&type=stories

There is plenty of literature about mailing lists and moderated mailing lists there. You have to add a moderator to your mailing list to get what you are trying to do work.

I've read all this stuff already and am confident I have the right settings, yet the mailing list continues toi function incorrectly.

I just read about the Control Panel problem on win4 and am wondering if this has something to do with it. In testing last night, I noticed that while the creation of the mailing list happened through the Control Panel without a problem, and changing some of the settings seemed to affect the list behaviour, changing other settings did not change the list behaviour.

For example, changing the setting to process admin requests did in fact allow or dis-allow admin requests. However, changing the moderation setting had no affect on the behaviour of the list.

I hope these Control Panel problems are resolved quickly as I expect to be able to use the features that I'm paying for.

Yash said:
test your mailing list now.... tell me if it is OK....

I will test this later tonight and let you know at that time whether it appears to be working correctly or not.

What has changed that would make it now work??

Re: Re: mailing list problem

malemanes said:
I will test this later tonight and let you know at that time whether it appears to be working correctly or not.

What has changed that would make it now work??

The email address you entered for moderation was the one with the problem which we just fixed. Want to know if that fixed this problem as well. If not, we'd look into it again.

Re: Re: Re: mailing list problem

Yash said:
The email address you entered for moderation was the one with the problem which we just fixed. Want to know if that fixed this problem as well. If not, we'd look into it again.

I killed the previous list and created a new one, to eliminate any possible creation errors, and set the list up as a moderated list. Unfortuantely, messages sent to the list by non-moderators are being sent to all subscribers, even though the list options are configured to moderate posts, and in fact, to discard user posts.

In summary, it's still broken :-(

After lots of testing and communication with PSOFT, we discovered the problem was simply because you had "User Posts Only" selected instead of "Do not restrict posts based on SENDER address"

Moderation is now working.

This mailing list feature seems very interesting. I currently use a yahoo based mailing list... I am assuming this feature will now let me create a similar list with jodohost but on my own email address and managed from my own account?

I had lots of trouble with this too. I just stuck to scripts that manage the list instead of server managing.

Yash said:
After lots of testing and communication with PSOFT, we discovered the problem was simply because you had "User Posts Only" selected instead of "Do not restrict posts based on SENDER address"

Moderation is now working.

Well, kind of. Perhaps it's a limitation of the mailing list engine.

If I want to reject messages from non-subscribers, and moderate messages from subscribers, this doesn't seem possible, as you have instructed me to not restrict posts based on sender address just to get the moderation thing to work.

Also, if I turn on reject posts from non-moderators, and a moderator posts a message, the moderator then has to approve his own post. This seems silly.

Isn't there a better mailing engine out there?

Back