"Managed" WP Service

Mark65

Perch
I'm thinking about running a "managed WP service" for small businesses where we do the installs (including necessary plugins, themes, etc.), we handle the security updates, we do the backups, etc. This will be part of larger packages we offer that include marketing, etc.

The reason for my question is that we are fairly new to WP and have heard horror stories about security and speed/server usage. This is one reason we would manage the systems for our customers. For example we would only install trusted and necessary plugins. In fact, we would try to avoid letting customers do much more than add content only.

From a reseller point of view, if we have let's say 10 WP blogs on 10 different accounts that we handle as above but are heavily marketing, would our current Lite hosting plan do and then as we add customers we move up to additional plans like Value or Silver?

At what point would we know that the server usage was too much?

What is the memory typically available to each install and plugins?

The reason I ask these basic questions, is that even though we have had a reseller account for years, we've never had "real" hosting customers but are now wanting to do that.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Mark

An additional question is how many WP installs could be handled on one account from a server resource view? For example if a customer needed x installs on x separate domains on their one account what would be a good limit guideline?

Sounds and good and there is another product on the market that is 'similar' but they are platform/host independent.

They mostly handle cleanup and resecure, but not hosting, so it would be a good measuring stick I think for what you want to offer more as a complete bundle?

http://sucuri.net/signup

An additional question is how many WP installs could be handled on one account from a server resource view? For example if a customer needed x installs on x separate domains on their one account what would be a good limit guideline?
About the numbers, it all depends on hits, Wordpress can be extremely intensive on a large amount of hits, however using cache and other areas the usage goes WAY down. I know some WordPress sites that fell under pressure of launch just in a small city based food guide on a VPS, but the same VPS and wordpress got optimized and it handles a lot more now. They are using nginx to cache in front of the VPS now, it also helps filter some attacks at times.

From a reseller point of view, if we have let's say 10 WP blogs on 10 different accounts that we handle as above but are heavily marketing, would our current Lite hosting plan do and then as we add customers we move up to additional plans like Value or Silver?

At what point would we know that the server usage was too much?

What is the memory typically available to each install and plugins?

_____

You may want to consider linux vps option rather than the reseller platform.

Plesk 11.5 has a lot more customization options, and we can even setup management packages for the server side itself for you

Back