mass mailing thread

snooper

Perch
can you guys tell us what is defined as mass mailing?
does the block only block mailers that are web-based, or if i sent to a group from Outlook - will that get blocked too?

thanks

thats very limiting, especially for people in our business.

anyhow, i have mailed thru the form to legal@jodo and have a ticket open on the topic (49145), pls try see that it gets dealt with ASAP. thanks

I don't send more than 30 mails at most from my mail box per day, and I do send email quite heavily

50 emails per day is quite alot IMHO

Yash, could you please explain a little more exactly what mass mailing means in the context that you are using it. For instance, does e-mail being generated from my WWF forum constitute mass mailing? I have over a thousand users, and I'm not sure how many of them subscribe to the forum topics, but I sometimes I receive several hundred e-mails a day. Multiply that by however many people may be subscribed and 50 a day becomes awfully limiting. Useless really.

Thanks for your clarification.

The idea behind the cap is that it would not affect normal email users that use their email for routine communication. But for those intending to send newsletters or large mail distributions, they would have to take permission for this and in the process, reinforce to them the fact that unsolicited bulk emailing won't be tolerated

This policy is in to ensure that our IPs remain off blacklists and customers can have a problem-free emailing experience

The thing to do is if you even suspect that one of your email account may possibly send over 50 emails in a day...send in the form and get it cleared.

This is actually a really good policy and getting off a black list can be INCREDIBLY difficult and will affect EVERYONE very very badly...

IMHO do whatever you guys need to do to make sure our IP's don't get blacklisted...if you think 50 is limiting, try sending email when you've been blacklisted....

Yash, thanks for the response. I agree with the purpose, but at the risk of appearing thick-headed, what constitutes a large e-mail distribution? Is forum software, such as WWF, which may send out e-mails to several hundred subscribers 100 or 200 times (assuming that many new posts) over a 24 hour period considered a large e-mail distribution?

The above scenario is beyond my control, as I am not sending them out, the software is sending to subscribers. Or is there a mechanism that knows if I'm personally sending out 1,000 newsletters (using Outlook, or some online software)?

What happens when the limit of 50 is reached? No mail is delivered?

I don't mind sending in the form if need be, but I need to know if what is happening on my site is considered a mass mailing.

Thanks again.

Yes, in that case emails from WWF would be blocked unless you request that domain to be removed from this restriction.

Emails over the quota would be returned back to you and wouldn't be delivered

my web site accepts members by sending their passwords to their emails. does this mean i cant receive more than 50 members per day?

berg said:
my web site accepts members by sending their passwords to their emails. does this mean i cant receive more than 50 members per day?

If you need more then 50 mails/day, then you must send us the Mass Mailing Request form, signed by you to be sent either by Fax or email(after scanning it).

Ravi said:
If you need more then 50 mails/day, then you must send us the Mass Mailing Request form, signed by you to be sent either by Fax or email(after scanning it).

I think you misunderstood Berg's question. Surely mass mailing wouldn't apply there. I wasn't aware there was a limit on how many emails you can send or receive per day, only how many you can send out at once. Right?

the idea i got is you can recieve as many as you like/can hold . but you can only send up to 50 from one email/mail box

Emagine said:
the idea i got is you can recieve as many as you like/can hold . but you can only send up to 50 from one email/mail box
at one time... yes, but surely we aren't being limited to sending 50 emails per day?

LegalAlien said:
I think you misunderstood Berg's question. Surely mass mailing wouldn't apply there. I wasn't aware there was a limit on how many emails you can send or receive per day, only how many you can send out at once. Right?

No, it is how many mails that can be sent from a mailbox/day. 50 is a limit we put, because we think 50 is more then enough in general.

Ravi said:
No, it is how many mails that can be sent from a mailbox/day. 50 is a limit we put, because we think 50 is more then enough in general.

oh wow! never heard of a host limiting the total amount of emails before. that's seems a bit unnecessary. what exactly is this meant to acheive? If someone did want to spam, this doesn't exactly make it that much more difficult.

LegalAlien said:
oh wow! never heard of a host limiting the total amount of emails before. that's seems a bit unnecessary.

I think it is essential to prevent our mail servers from getting blacklisted by ISPs, because of spammers.
We also gave you a way to get out of this restriction. If you have legitimate mail usage, then just sign the mass mailing form. It is upto you, what you want.

Remember, Prevention is better then Cure...

Agreed - if you need more than 50 - the solution is simple. Just fax the request thing in and you're good to go.

NOBODY wants to be blacklisted....it's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad news...

Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question, but I am still a bit unclear.

I have a Cold Fusion website that has built in newsletter function. However, the mail for that website is handled by the clients ISP, not by me. DO you still want me to get a signed form sent over to you? (As they have no mailboxes in the system).

Thanks!!

PS. Only been with Jodohost for a week or two. Best support I've ever had from a web host! Thanks!!

Back