Mediawiki on windows ?

Is there any experience here in Jodohost about installing mediawiki on a windows environment ?
I mean, there are domains here hosting mediawiki?

I do not know of any sites running it, but I have not exactly gone looking either. But I have not seen tickets regarding the installation or use of MediaWiki

I am about to start a Wiki on Windows server, with FlexWiki, you may check it out:
http://www.flexwiki.com/

Thanks for your comments.
Yes, I've seen flexwiki, but the sole site look makes me go away. ?(
And I don't think it has the lots of features the mediawiki has.

Stephen said:
I do not know of any sites running it, but I have not exactly gone looking either. But I have not seen tickets regarding the installation or use of MediaWiki

I am about to start a Wiki on Windows server, with FlexWiki, you may check it out:
http://www.flexwiki.com/

If it really needs atleast PHP5 and MySQL 4.1 as said here, you will need to go for a Windows VPS:
meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Installing_MediaWiki_on_Windows_Server_2003_SP1

Thanks for that link. I read other part of their instalation notes where they were really discouraging any instalation in IIS.
May be it was an old document.

BTW, it works with PHP 4.3.11, is that installed on Jodo servers ?

tanmaya said:
If it really needs atleast PHP5 and MySQL 4.1 as said here, you will need to go for a Windows VPS:
meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Installing_MediaWiki_on_Windows_Server_2003_SP1

BTW, Flexwiki is no so bad as their website, it powers some popular sites that look much better

The problem with flexwiki:

Rights management - Only administrators can set rights (read, write) through NTFS.
v2.0 (coming soon) will have WikiPageProperty based rights management.

Files and images - You cannot upload files and images to FlexWiki, you have to upload them to an own web share, and place the url into the WikiPage.

Optimistic locking - If you are editing a wiki topic and somebody else saves a change to the same topic, you will lose your changes instead of being offered to resolve conflicts. You have to use your browser's back button to retrieve your text (which does not work because the editing window loses the changes you've made when you click Back), and then you have to start the editing again.

No syntax highlighting for code snippets..

These are major issues that make it a deal buster for many of us. Hopefully some of the linux boxes will soon support php5 so we can finally updated to the newest version of mediawiki!

the new cluster2 servers support php5 and mysql5, cluster1 servers may not support php5 on the old boxes at the time of the upgrade but could come some weeked after the hsphere upgrade on them, we will have to see how major any issues are that just having php4 will cause. So upgrading existing linux servers to having php5 we will play by ear, once we have cluster1 upgraded new servers added should all support php5 from the start.

Back