Moving a Dotnetnuke site between domains and subdomains

timruns

Perch
OK -- This is a multi-step issue I have, and I think each individual step should be easily doable, I just want to hear others' advice...

1. I am developing a new site for a client using DNN on my retailer domain (al.4sheep.com).
2. I will be moving my client's current static site from a different host to Jodo.
3. Then, I want to move the development DNN site from my subdomain to the client's subdomain (from al.4sheep.com to al.artsandlearning.com).
4 Once the DNN site is ready, I want to easily switch the root folder from the static site to the subdomain site (so the site moves from the "al" subdomain to the root "www").

Does this make sense, and should it be pretty simple? I am fairly new to Jodo and with prior hosting company it actually worked pretty easy. I am not super familiar with HSphere yet...

I appreciate all the help these forums provide!
Tim

Hmmm... I am no expert and need to do something similar so bouncing ideas may help at least one of us.

Firstly, I think you can skip some of your steps... you can set up your client's domain hosting from the beginning and develop the site under this hosting. It will not affect the existing site until the nameservers are changed. In the mean time H-SPHERE automatically sets up a DNN for this site under your domain. In other words, you never have to move the newly developed site - once it's working, all you do is change the nameservers to point to the new hosting.

If you need to move the existing site to the new hosting while you develop the new one concurrently then develop it under the DNN on your client's domain (in this case it's a sub-domain). When you want to switch over simply use a redirect of the sub-domain to www or set up www as an alias of the subdomain (honestly not sure which one works but it's something like that).

My problem is slightly different. I have a website running under an account on IIS hosting and I want to move it to another account on Apache hosting (all within the same hosting agreement). Any ideas? This will certainly involve at least one physical move.

Yes, had I to do it over again, I would have started the DNN instance on the clietn server. However, since the client currently is hosted elsewhere, I begain it as a subdirectory of my reseller domain.
So, I don't think I can skip those steps. Unless, is it possible for the alias at www.artsandlearning.com to use the site at al.4sheep.com? Can an alias cross domains? If so, it seems that right now, I could make an alias in DNN on al.4sheep.com to accept al.artsandlearning.com then, when the site is ready, ad www.artsandlearning.com
Maybe if someone from Jodo is reading, is that possible for the alias to cross domains? Or is there another "easy" answer?
Thanks
Tim

Back