Moving from Vortech

Hi

Not sure if you are aware but there is growing anger among some resellers hosted by Vortech because they have re-written the TOC for a discount hosting account they offered some 4 years ago. Basically they have accused those on the plan of not upgrading 3+ years ago, have imposed a forced upgrade with a doubling of monthly fees and billed customers for $600 in 'overages' There is a thread about this at webhostingtalk

Not surprisingly it has angered those on this plan who are still with Vortech, hence I am looking around for another hosting company.

Can someone please give some indication if Jodo is connected in any way to Vortech?

Does Jodo change its TOC years later and impose back charges?

Can Jodo provide help and guidance in moving over domains?

Thanks

Kevin

Can someone please give some indication if Jodo is connected in any way to Vortech?

>We are in the same state? That is about it :)

Does Jodo change its TOC years later and impose back charges?

> We have changed our plans and our services but not charged existing clients ever, it would only be for new.

Can Jodo provide help and guidance in moving over domains?

>We can provide normal technical assistance, unfortunatly with the influx it looks like we are getting already, providing extra services will not be something we can do freely. I am ordering extra servers to cope with incoming so that we don't overload servers with the extra coming in(sometimes when you have an unexpected event things accelerate faster than you had planned)

Hi Stephen

Thanks for that.

The problem I have is that I host a few sites (only about 7) for family and friends and do not run a business, so my techie knowledge is quite limited. I have been with Vortech coming up for 4 years and before that was with Interhost for about 6 years, so I don't change often! All I need is some info on how to change hosts with the minimum of effort

At the moment I use kjhost.com as the accounts main domain, but if I transfer that domain over to be the accounts main domain with you, how do I access the other domains I still have hosted with Vortech? Or is there an easier way? Is there any guide to how to move over a reseller account from one host to another?

Thanks

Kevin

ok in doing this, you will NOT want to make your service account (nameservers) changes live until you have the other accounts data/email also moved over.

Here is what I'd do:
Setup reseller account with your current service domain there, here
Do setup for hosted accounts, move data using our service domains, or IP, for the FTP portion(yours won't be working as DNS won't be pointed at this point)
Move sites to a dedicated IP temporarily to ensure they display properly, move back to shared(unless needing SSL, then keep on dedicated)
Change DNS on service domain name, all should go live here in a matter of 24 hours maybe 36 in some cases.

Alternative two:
Have/buy a new domain to use as service domain
Setup account after purchase with the new service domain
Setup all user accounts, the ability to use instant aliases and all features will be working as the new service domain will be functional with DNS pointed properly

then suboptions for the next step:
1. the easiest, change DNS servers to the new service domain for all hosted domains
2. add the old service domain as a 2nd domain in your service account, and manually create server DNS A records for nameserver pointers.

My opinion is that the most reliable option may be the 2nd with sub-option2, I have done this method myself without any issue and it gives you a solid working instant alias system from the start.

Many thanks for that.

Things are deteriorating rapidly between me (and others) and Vortech so a move is coming very soon.

Just one thing, if you do change levels of service or hosting fees what notice do you usually give?

Thanks again

Kevin

We have not to my knowledge increased hosting fees, but we did launch a 2nd cluster with a bit differenct featureset, within 2 months all features except exchange were available on the 1st cluster
We talked to clients and gave them notice at least a month in advance.

This is good most of the itme but sometimes it comes back to bite us as we have significant delays in setup of what we wish to do, and it can cause a little strife. But all in all I guess it is better to have TOO MUCH communications and than not enough.

Once you have signed up we can add you to a customer only forum where we discuss some operational plans now, weused to do this a bit on the outside but it is not the best place to do it for some discussions.
We only have one section that is private, everything else is open and the only moderation is to move threads to other forums if they are in the wrong section and to delete/ban spammers, on our forums you can see complaints as well as praise, we don't hide it :)

Just one thing, if you do change levels of service or hosting fees what notice do you usually give?

We have never changed prices EVER on any of our plans in the last 5 years we have been in business. Our policy is to guarantee the same price for existing clients when they signup.

We have made some minor changes to our plans in the last 4 to 5 years, but they usually only affect new clients. If they ever do affect existing clients, they are reasonably explained and we give between 3 to 6 months of advance notice.

Even with inflation and the continual decline of the US dollar, we have maintained the same prices

We have never changed prices EVER on any of our plans in the last 5 years we have been in business. Our policy is to guarantee the same price for existing clients when they signup.

We have made some minor changes to our plans in the last 4 to 5 years, but they usually only affect new clients. If they ever do affect existing clients, they are reasonably explained and we give between 3 to 6 months of advance notice.

Even with inflation and the continual decline of the US dollar, we have maintained the same prices

This is very true, but I don't want to expand on it or I may get political 8o

Have a peace of mind. You´ll be fine with Jodo.

I left Vortech some 5 years ago, because they are too friendly :D
So, what you reported, is very tipicall of them. Looks like they haven´t learned anything.

Change is always a pain. Lots of work, etc.
But in the end, you´ll be happy you jumped ship. Welcome aboard.

Thanks for the welcome Underdog

I was backing up most of the weekend and think I got everything copied off Vortech, Good job, they tried to bill me today for a month at their new double fees. I sent in a ticket restating I wasn't agreeing to their forced changing of plan and they stopped all access within seconds - I tried to log in no more than 2 minutes after the ticket had gone and no access. They sure don't hang about.

There are other discussions going on in forums and it looks like Vortech are doing anything to grab money - I guy like me was given a refund of their unlawful $600 charge only to be charged again a few hours later, another has noticed 'additional monthly fees' being added to their monthly bill because he had added additional hsphere users, although they charge a one-time fee of $4, they have also been charging a monthly fee not mentioned in their TOS.

Life is too short to dwell on companies like Vortech, but to be fair up until last week I had no issues with them and I even sung their praises a few times for prompt service!!!!

Thanks for the welcome Underdog

I was backing up most of the weekend and think I got everything copied off Vortech, Good job, they tried to bill me today for a month at their new double fees. I sent in a ticket restating I wasn't agreeing to their forced changing of plan and they stopped all access within seconds - I tried to log in no more than 2 minutes after the ticket had gone and no access. They sure don't hang about.

There are other discussions going on in forums and it looks like Vortech are doing anything to grab money - I guy like me was given a refund of their unlawful $600 charge only to be charged again a few hours later, another has noticed 'additional monthly fees' being added to their monthly bill because he had added additional hsphere users, although they charge a one-time fee of $4, they have also been charging a monthly fee not mentioned in their TOS.

Life is too short to dwell on companies like Vortech, but to be fair up until last week I had no issues with them and I even sung their praises a few times for prompt service!!!!

You will be very happy with JodoHost. I switched back in July from 1and1 Internet to Jodohost and love it. I have never had the service I get from Jodo with anyother host.

Hi

Just a quick feedback.

I have been with Jodo Host now for some 8 months and in that time had no problems. Support when needed has been responsive and fast.

So far excellent service and highly recommended

Kevin

Vortech caused me nothing but stress and headaches, I find it hard to believe that they continue to have any sort of a business. I jumped across to jodo about 18 months ago and it was the best thing I ever did for myself and my customers.
You wont be disappointed

Back