MS SQL database size

Nathan

Perch
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the Max size of a MS SQL database before performance degrades?
Currently my forum has over 47,000 posts, 4,000 members and a DB size of 54MB

Should I be worried about this?

Thanks

Nathan

PS Hey win5, just be glad I don't use access!

Nathan said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the Max size of a MS SQL database before performance degrades?

According to MSDN
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/architec/8_ar_ts_8dbn.asp

The max physical size of a SQL Server database looks to be about a Terabyte or so with the following caveat:
"The data portion of a database cannot exceed 2 GB in size when using the SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) or the Microsoft Data Engine (MSDE) 1.0. The total size of the database, including log files, can exceed 2 GB provided the sum of the sizes of the data files remains 2 GB or lower."

54MB is really nothing, but even a small database when performing major operations can use a lot of CPU. However your forums and sites aren't too bad on the CPU from what I have seen.

Oh and the MSDE Comment doesn't apply as we aren't using MSDE:)

Thanks that's great.

I often take a look at the coding of my most used pages to ensure that the SQL queries are as compact and efficient as possible.

Cheers

Nathan

It looks like WWG is about to have a great step forward in speed and SQL query size too!

I read the development blog and it looks bright.

54MB is nothing :)
We have some huge 1 and 2GB databases on MSSQL2 and MSSQL3 8o

But I do not recommend anyone hosting such huge databases on shared MSSQL servers... It caused degraded performance on the server and we plan to contact these customers with dedicated MSSQL offers

Back