MSDE / MS SQL problems

Dave

Perch
I'm having nothing but problems trying to set up MSDE so I can use Enterprise Manager for working with SQL Server. I tried following the instructions Yash left in the Q&A forum, but the first problem occurs when you can't download MSDE from the link provided (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/msde/default.asp). After searching Microsoft's site for something that looks like a file to download for MSDE, the only file I can find to download is something called "MSDE 2000 for Developers Using Visual Studio .NET". Probably not the right file, but the MSDE download site doesn't have a lot of options to choose from.

After downloading the 70MB file, it unpacks to 92Mb and the instructions are to install it using a command line, which I do. It appears to install something then tells me to configure options from the control panel. But it doesn't say what I'm configuring and there is nothing new in my Control Panel that I can see. Nothing has been added to my start menu, and nothing has been added to my Add/Remove list. There doesn't appear to be anything in all the 92 Megs of unpacked files to run.

How do you get MSDE and the Enterprise Manager, and how do you install it?

Thanks for any help on this frustrating SQL Server stuff. MS Access, while not nearly as powerful, is at least easy to use and work with (from my perspective at this point anyway).

Hmm, all I did was install the SQL Client Utilities which comes on the MS SQL Server 2000 CD. Just put it in and select SQL Client Utilities Only. Then, go into Client Network Utility and setup a new TCP/IP Alias. Call it JodoHost, or whatever, and make it point to mssql4.jodohost.com, or whatever your database is on. Then, just go into Enterprise Manager and Register a new SQL Server. The name is the same as the alias you just created. Select the username and password you created in jodohost's control panel and you're done.
-Dave

Thank you for your reply, WineIsGood. Unfortunately I don't own SQL Server 2000, or any other version, so I can't follow those directions. That was why I was attempting to follow the directions in the Knowledge Base forum and trying to download MSDE from the link provided there.

You'll find everything off your SQL Server CD. If you don't have that, MSDE 1.0 is really what should have downloaded. It contains the SQL Client utility. This link in the tutorial is where a download should have been available but unfortunately, looks like Microsoft stopped providing that for download.

You can also try www.aspenterprisemanager.com if you want a simple utility to manage your database.

Thanks for the reply. I did another search of Microsoft's site. Still didn't find MSDE 1.0, but did find a reference to it being available in a directory in MS Office. There was no such directory on my MS Office XP Pro disk, but I did have an MSDE 2000 directory, so I installed that. Unfortunately it didn't install anything called Enterprise Manager, or anything called SQL Server Client Network Utility. The only thing that I can find that was installed is SQL Server Service Manager in my task bar, but that has none of the functions that I need, it only starts/stops SQL Server Service, DTC and SQL Server Agent.

I did a hard drive search for references to these tools, checked the control panel, System Tools, Administrative Tools. This is extremely frustrating. I've spent many hours trying to get started on this, now I'm about ready to scrap this whole idea of using SQL Server.

I had a look at ASP Enterprise Manager. It seems to be an asp.net application. I don't know anything about .net as I program only in classic ASP. However I tried downloading it and installing it, but I only get an error, and since I don't understand .net I can't track down and fix the problem myself. I'm sure it's probably an installation issue. I turned asp.net on in my CP, and just copied the files over. The aspenterprisemanager site seems to assume a lot as far as installation goes, plus it is only beta software and looking at the list of features planned, is far from being a complete package.

Is anyone here successfully using ASP Enterprise Manager?

Are there any DLL files? Try creating a BIN directory off of your root and putting the DLL filese there. Is there a web.config file? Try reading any instructions it came with a placing that file in the root directory, then modifying it as per the directions. Think of it like a new-fangled INI file.
Sorry I can't be of any more help... I've never used it.
-Dave

Re: Re: MSDE / MS SQL problems

WineIsGood said:
Are there any DLL files? Try creating a BIN directory off of your root and putting the DLL filese there. Is there a web.config file? Try reading any instructions it came with a placing that file in the root directory, then modifying it as per the directions. Think of it like a new-fangled INI file.
Sorry I can't be of any more help... I've never used it.
-Dave

yes I have it working.

You have to move the bin directory to the root of your website and if I remember correctly you have to move the global.asax to the root as well.

Thanks for the information, Yorri. But I've just got home and looked at the reply from Yash on my question about the new MSSQL Manager option I found in the CP. He said he didn't know what it was, and to give it a try. It is the ASP Enterprise Manager that we are talking about. It now comes as a default with the new version of HSPhere. But I can't get it to access the database tables, although most of the other functions seem to work. I get a VB error, "Object variable or With block variable not set" when I try table operations.

Dave said:
Thank you for your reply, WineIsGood. Unfortunately I don't own SQL Server 2000, or any other version, so I can't follow those directions. That was why I was attempting to follow the directions in the Knowledge Base forum and trying to download MSDE from the link provided there.

If you request or download an evaluation version of SQL Server, the Enterprise Manager *should* continue to operate after the server install expires. This is because the evaluation is for the server itself, not the EM.

i have successfully installed this aspenterprise manager for sql and msde, but now i need to connect.. what servername, username and password shall i use?

Back