MSN down for everyone?

Stephen

US Operations
Staff member
MSN got oddly quiet, but I was still showing online, I went to another computer and came back, opened the list and showed none online, so I thought it was odd, signed out. Now it won'tletme back in and seems down. even their website is down.

Anyone else having major problems with MSN now, anyone working on MSN right now?

It's down for me at the moment, both my MSN accounts are unable to connect (as opposed to the outage a few weeks ago where one of them kept working for most of the outage).

I'm not too worried though, I would rather not use MSN at all except that I occasionally have to get in touch with people that refuse to use anything other than MSN :p

Edit: MSN went offline for me at about 00:25 GMT.

nice asp.net errors I am getting on their site, I think they must have moved their sites to windows 2003 servers.

Seems MSN came back a little while ago..

I read you normally use MSN for internal communication. With the outages lately you might want to consider using Jabber/XMPP.

It allows you to set up your own server which JodoHost people would connect to. Even if all the XMPP servers in de world except for yours go down, you can still reach JodoHost personel :p

Trillian is one of the many clients that have Jabber (and ICQ, etc) support. You could set up metacontacts for everyone. If someone is offline on one network, it would pretty much automatically use the other network if they're online there.

Using metacontacts you can have as many backup networks as you like. Using SRV DNS (RFC 2782) records you can even set up backup Jabber servers transparently in different locations.

I have jabber support now, as I dont use MSN "branded" messenger, I use open source tools to connect.

But, alas, it is still down. I will look at the jabber server setup, that would be nice.

Hmm, it's up here for me, but I've noticed before that MSN sometimes works for one account, but not for the other :(

Little by little I see more people coming online..

I guess the MIGs blew up the server your account was on :p

[19:01] *** You are being logged off MSN Messenger. Reason: "MIG"

comes free with my internet, itis ad free and has some additional software and options (anti spam, junk mail filters are better, etc)

hmmmkay, I refuse to use any email system controlled by Microsoft :p
Unless you were referring to anti spam on MSN Messenger, never had any of that.. just a little on ICQ. I would have been perfectly using just ICQ, but unfortunately I was required to communicate with people on MSN Messenger :<

I use my hotmail for junk mail and not much else. Newletters and stuff go there, some of them I read, most I junk.

Back