mssql1.jodoshared.com SLOW?

Hawkeye

Perch
Well guys, I'm throwing this message here in the database area because I don't know if the problem lies with the DB server, web server, or something in between. Over the past several days to a week I have noticed my website loading much slower than normal.

I know the issues are not on this side because I have a timer on each page which shows how long it took to be GENERATED. These numbers are usually in the 0.3245 seconds type of area, but lately I'm seeing 3-6 SECONDS.

The servers in question are mssql1 and Win1.

So, my questions is: which of these servers has become overloaded, or is there another problem causing the slowness?

Hawkeye said:
Well guys, I'm throwing this message here in the database area because I don't know if the problem lies with the DB server, web server, or something in between. Over the past several days to a week I have noticed my website loading much slower than normal.

I know the issues are not on this side because I have a timer on each page which shows how long it took to be GENERATED. These numbers are usually in the 0.3245 seconds type of area, but lately I'm seeing 3-6 SECONDS.

The servers in question are mssql1 and Win1.

So, my questions is: which of these servers has become overloaded, or is there another problem causing the slowness?

I can tell you for sure that it is win1, because I am also on win1, not using mssql, and am experiencing ssslllooowww performance. My sites on win1 were running very slow last week (up to 45 seconds for some pages), until early Friday (3/19/04), when suddenly preformance returned to normal (sub second in most cases). Today, performance is very bad again. In fact, I just looked through my logs and found a 500 Internal Server error had occured.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the "problematic website" Yash mentioned in his "Network Outages and Updates: ASP 500 Error - Win5" post has been moved from win5 to win1.

Yash, is this the case?

riley

Doubtful, JodoHost is moving sites off Win1 because it's still running Windows 2003 and they're downgrading to Windows 2000. If the site has been moved at all, it's probably to Win3 again (a special server for problem websites).

You are likely to be experiencing lag because the database server moved to another datacenter ([thread=1472]see here[/thread]). Websites are being moved from Win1, Win2, and Win4 to new servers (Win5 and Win6) which are located in that same datacenter.

Sites are being moved gradually, but if you are having performance issues you can request an immediate move to (probably) Win6 by submitting a ticket. Doesn't hurt to mention why you want to be moved there ;)

SubSpace said:
Doubtful, JodoHost is moving sites off Win1 because it's still running Windows 2003 and they're downgrading to Windows 2000. If the site has been moved at all, it's probably to Win3 again (a special server for problem websites).

Well that's good to know. The timing of everything led me to think that they had moved it to win1.

SubSpace said:
You are likely to be experiencing lag because the database server moved to another datacenter ([thread=1472]see here[/thread]).

I don't think that's it, because I am not using the database server and my sites are slow too.

SubSpace said:
Sites are being moved gradually, but if you are having performance issues you can request an immediate move to (probably) Win6 by submitting a ticket. Doesn't hurt to mention why you want to be moved there ;)

Given the recent outage on win5, I'm understandably reluctant to move to the new servers. But I'll have to move there eventually, so maybe I should just get it over with. How is performance on win5 and win6? If it's good, maybe I'll ask to be moved.

riley

Performance is pretty good on Win5 where I'm at. About the same or slightly better performance than I had when I was on Win4.

I'm very sorry, I should have made an announcement of this issue.

Accessing MSSQL1 from Win1, win2 and Win4 are slow at the moment. We are going to correct this by a planned migration and OS downgrade. This has been delayed while we were sorting out the 500 issue on Win5. If this does not reoccur in the next 24 hours, we will announce a migration schedule.

riley said:
I can tell you for sure that it is win1, because I am also on win1, not using mssql, and am experiencing ssslllooowww performance. My sites on win1 were running very slow last week (up to 45 seconds for some pages), until early Friday (3/19/04), when suddenly preformance returned to normal (sub second in most cases). Today, performance is very bad again. In fact, I just looked through my logs and found a 500 Internal Server error had occured.

Riley, you should have informed us earlier. Win1 is in a bad condition, its being abused which we are looking into. That should solve the slow performance issue from it atleast till we complete the migration

Yash said:
Riley, you should have informed us earlier. Win1 is in a bad condition, its being abused which we are looking into. That should solve the slow performance issue from it atleast till we complete the migration

Thanks Yash.

I'm sorry I didn't report it. I was going to do so last week, but when I checked everything on Friday it was working fine agian, so I didn't bother.

When the problem started up again today, I decided I would post and did so here, rather than start another thread.

I don't know if this helps, but performance seemed to be ok between late-Thursday/early-Friday of last week and late-Tuesday/early-Wednesday (this morning) of this week. At least that is what my logfiles seem to show.

riley

I just disabled a site which brought down CPU usage for100% to 15%. There is another asp.net site that is causing cpu to hit 100% which we'll be disabling shortly as well

You really should report any slow performance to us immediately. We rely heavily on customer feedback for this..

Yash said:
I just disabled a site which brought down CPU usage for100% to 15%. There is another asp.net site that is causing cpu to hit 100% which we'll be disabling shortly as well

You really should report any slow performance to us immediately. We rely heavily on customer feedback for this..

Wow. It's really flyin' now. Thanks

When these things happen, I always wonder if it's my site that has caused the problem -- I'm sure many others wonder the same about their sites. I test my sites on my local machine and they seem to be fine. But I have no way of knowing how they will react on a shared server and I would rest easier if I knew. Is there a way you can evaluate a site and let the customer know it's performance characteristics and what impact it has on the server?

riley

Not really, isolating problematic sites is very difficult. We use an ASAPI filter that allows us to see all sites currently being accessed. We compare that with a performance monitor running in the background. What we do then is just sit and observe both CPU usage and the active site lists. If we see a site is causing significant CPU usage, we disable it temporarily and see if CPU usage drops.

Riley, you do not really have to worry about your site being disabled. We disable a very few number of websites every month. Most of them are using a big MS Access database as backend or have terrible code. And even so, we give our customers a chance to correct it.

Yash, I'm still seeing the slowness...it is the same for me as when I posted yesterday. Would you recommend I request to be moved off of Win1 at this point?

And, if so, would my destination be Win5 or another server? Is Win5 still being monitored for the issue it had? I just don't want to be moved there if we aren't sure that issue is fixed. If it is, then I may want to move. Win1 is still dogging for me...

Any migration is going to take at least 2 days as we have to give an advanced notification

Yes, I would recommend you request your account to be shifted to Win5. This can cause some downtime for you while the new IP propogates. Also, make sure you have a backup of web files because sometimes the transfer scipt failes to move directories

Yash said:
Any migration is going to take at least 2 days as we have to give an advanced notification

Yes, I would recommend you request your account to be shifted to Win5. This can cause some downtime for you while the new IP propogates. Also, make sure you have a backup of web files because sometimes the transfer scipt failes to move directories

Ok, lets hold off for a few more days though. Things are busy here at the moment. I will send in a trouble ticket when ready to proceed. Thanks.

Yash said:

I have found that after a moving from one server to the other, I can still login using FTP to the original server and retrieve my files, and then use FTP connected to the new server to upload the files. I had to do this recently.

On a bigger note, I would hope that Jodohost cleans this stuff up after a while. I would hate to have multiple copies of my files just sitting around.

Robert, it will be cleaned up, it is there for the time being just for the purpose you used it for, everyone that has moved needs to be able to retrieve their files. After JodoHost is confident everyone has moved them they will be removed.

Back