MSSQL5 problem in startup

Stephen

US Operations
Staff member
I am splitting from the maintenance thread because we have gone well beyond the scope of that.

I am on the phone with Microsoft Business Critical Technical Support right now.

Sadly I have just now gotten to the actually support team, the first person that was helping me did not even know SQL server, but was collecting notes of all I said for the case ID! So now I am finally speaking to someone that is able to help and I am uploading the stack dumps now.

MS Support group is still working on this with me, we are going through a lot of logs.

We have found that it is a cursor command coming in on TCPIP to a specific database that is causing the problem. that si why sometimes it would run for 1-2minutes, and sometimes only secnods before crashing. He is wroking to ID the cursor at fault, and work on a workaroun.

We have the server back up on MSSQL, and even on TCPIP but using a different port, as soon as we put on the default port it will crash within 2 minutes.

We are making good progress, no ETA yet from their engineers, I have two on the phone with me now.

just to clarify something, this is not as simple as just restoring a DB, or even every one of them. It is a bug in MSSQL that is at fault. We are working to resolve it, but it is taking time. At this point to restore would not be a task that is very feasible, it would mean restoring every DB from the BAk file, sure it could be done. However we may encounter such issue again on MSSQL 2000 SP4, so we need to know how to resolve it rapidly.

I have discovered a workaround, it is adding guest as a user to the model DB, MSSQL5 does not have many new databases so this will not be a huge problem.
I will in the next 24 hours write a stored procedure that runds every 24 hours to clean up non model/tempdb/master DBs that have guest enabled.

I am jumping for JOY!! I spent a total of 5.5 hours on the phone, the first 45 minutes was totally repeated in the next hours, however i have to say MS went out of their way to help me and call in some assistance, however they did not find the fix for the issue, we all knew what the bug was about 2 hours before it was worked around.
I won't yet call what I did a full fix, as I feel it is inherintly flawed, but I am sure everyone who's DB is back online is pleased that it is up as much as I. And I am about to go sing outside to the seagulls!

Back