MSSQL8 Overworked?

I've having a big problem here, and support doesn't seem to care.

I have a website that is connecting to two different databases on MSSQL8. I've reported slowness over the last few days, and today I even pointed support to where I believe the problem is. One user has almost 200 connections open to a single database, and the server has (at times) 800 connections open simultaneously.

The only answer I seem to get back from them is "check it again" This has happened 4 times now! This issue keeps on reappearing, probably becuase support is closing the connections and the website (or application) in question is reopening them!

As of right now, my major site (major is figurative) is absolutely down. It's been down the last 3 hours. The only answer from support? "Check it again"

What do I need to do in order to get this corrected?

We are tracing some abuse stemming from the full text search, and sending notice. There is someone making indexes that are using 89% cpu at times, and this is not something that can be throttled using the query governor, as it uses the ms search.

Edit: MSSQL8 is not down, and I have visisted sites based on it without any problem.

I'm not sure what happened, but with 15 minutes of posting here, I was moved to a different application pool, and away everything went.

The server may not have been overworked, but the pool apparently was saturated. Thanks Steven, for the help if applicable.

Rob

I didn't do anything with the app pool, but I did take care of 4 users having over 500 of those 800 connections you saw, and sending them notice, 4 users using that many of the connections, they obviosuly are not closing the connections in their code properly.
Someone else in the support dept. did the app pool change for you.

Steven,

It's two weeks later and those same users are still up to their 'not closing connections' tricks.

Two users specifically have nearly 100 connections open each.

I will check it again and force close on them. Thanks for reminding me, I was traveling by train in the US for 4 days, it is enjoyable but slow :)

these connections are now set to auto close, one was new 3 were the same we warned before, so they have been modified to close their connections when the query is done.

Back