Multiple clients are getting their outgoing mail blocked at recipient.

I have several clients that have been hounding me (rightfully so) about their outgoing email randomly not making it to the recipient. Usually it is to corporate sites, but we did a check using one of the DNS Report systems and got the following error:

An I.T. guy was nice enough to try and find out why my emails and the download instructions (that are sent automatically) weren't making it thru to him .. they weren't in his spam folder or any holding area. I've attached a screen shot of his response ... scary.

In case the jpeg doesn't come thru (click "Full Screen" under "View" when you open it) here is the text in the warning box in the jpeg :

"WARNING: One or more of your mailservers is claiming to be a host other than what it really is (the SMTP greeting should be a 3-digit code, followed by a space or a dash, then the host name).

If your mailserver sends out E-mail using this domain in its EHLO or HELO, your E-mail might get blocked by anti-spam software. This is also a technical violation of RFC821 4.3 (and RFC2821 4.3.1). Note that the hostname given in the SMTP greeting should have an A record pointing back to the same server. Note that this one test may use a cached DNS record.

gw-mail4.starcityhosting.net claims to be host mail4.m****here.biz [but that host is at 204.14.104.85 (may be cached), not 204.10.107.121].

Could this be the cause of this intermittant loss of mail. We have had the clients check their outlook and nothing in spam there.

Thoughts?

if they are filtering to spam for that then many will be having problems :( That is because of spam filtering MX record, which is very common these days

if they are filtering to spam for that then many will be having problems :( That is because of spam filtering MX record, which is very common these days

Now I'm not saying that is why this one client above is not getting his email to go through... just saying this client is getting a large number of his emails not making it through to his clients and one of his technical clients pointed to that in the DNSReport. Ultimately we just want to know why they are not getting through.

The clients having this problem do not get a bounce back messages and the recipients simply never receive it. They don't have it in their spam box at the recipient end either. It is very strange.

Greg

Couldn't you get past this by using an SPF record? http://www.openspf.org/

And add in that your own domain as well as the m****here.biz (or whatever) is allowed to send on your domains behalf? We do that so both our google domains and the ones hosted on JH work..

Ultimately we just want to know why they are not getting through.

The clients having this problem do not get a bounce back messages and the recipients simply never receive it. They don't have it in their spam box at the recipient end either.

Can you create a ticket about this issue?
Ensure you alteast mention:
1. sender email
2. recipient email
3. Time when email was sent
4. SMTP server used to send this email.

Couldn't you get past this by using an SPF record? http://www.openspf.org/

And add in that your own domain as well as the m****here.biz (or whatever) is allowed to send on your domains behalf? We do that so both our google domains and the ones hosted on JH work..

This will help only if incorrect SPF record is causing email to bounce or with some free webmail service providers to be able to reach inboxes, instead of spam/bulkmail folder. It appears this is not the case here.

Back