Nameservers down

SubSpace

Bass
A couple of days ago I received new IP addresses for my nameservers, and since then I've changed my hosted domains to use the new IPs for DNS.

Now the new Nameservers are no longer responding (according to one of my users they haven't been for the last 7 hours at least).

Please get them up ASAP, all my hosted domains are down.
(ticket also submitted)

Well, I see your ticket and both are resolving fine for me
Does it resolve into and IP and you can't ping it or is it that you receive "cannot find host" ?

use www.dnsstuff.com. They are working fine
Anyway, I just sent out an email. We have decided to scrap these plans due to issues. Read that email please

Instead we are moving CP, SS and Mail to different servers

Yash, They are NOT working fine... 25% refund and counting...

Finland, Denmark, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, I checked with lots of people, none of them can reach the pages.

Pinging 100% fine
Who is your ISP and update your ticket with your IP. We'll try doing a reverse traceroute

hmm, you are right. I checked from the UK and their seems to be some routing issue.

Could you post a traceroute in your ticket please

Edit: Will update ticket

I already said I can ping the nameserver fine, but it fails to resolve on the new server IPs where the domains are pointing to.

Amongst others, page doesn't/didn't work from:
chello.no
wanadoo.nl
eclipse.co.uk
tele.dk

dnsstuff.com said:
How I am searching:
Searching for A record for www.mydomain.com at j.root-servers.net: Got referral to E.GTLD-SERVERS.net. [took 44 ms]
Searching for A record for www.mydomain.com at E.GTLD-SERVERS.net.: Got referral to ns1.subbot.net. [took 100 ms]
Searching for A record for www.mydomain.com at ns1.subbot.net.: Server failure! [took 109 ms].

Answer:
Server failure. There's a problem with the DNS server for www.mydomain.com.

It just started resolving on my ISPs nameserver, but the newly assigned nameservers are still not working.

I will change them back as requested, but that doesn't change the fact that my newly assigned nameservers were down.

Servers seem to be responding now, I guess I'm off changing DNS IPs back...

Could you send me an e-mail of what those IPs are supposed to be? Because ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com in my control panel do not match the original IPs I used, and I'm a bit confused which I should be using now ;)

" already said I can ping the nameserver fine, but it fails to resolve on the new server IPs where the domains are pointing to"

I didn't understand what you mean by that. If you are still getting the old IPs while pinging, that means resolution hasn't taken place fully

Switch to the name server IPs in your control panel. Go to E.Mananger > Server Aliases

Yash said:
" already said I can ping the nameserver fine, but it fails to resolve on the new server IPs where the domains are pointing to"

I didn't understand what you mean by that.

I meant that as I could ping the nameservers (the new ones) it couldn't be a routing problem.

The servers are down again by the way. I've changed the DNS IPs back to the 'new' old settings, but it means all my pages are down again.

Yash said:
use www.dnsstuff.com. They are working fine
Anyway, I just sent out an email. We have decided to scrap these plans due to issues. Read that email please

Instead we are moving CP, SS and Mail to different servers
Yash, I'm not a reseller but I am worried about this DNS problems. I am thinking of using my registrar's name servers instead of JodoHost's for my websites. I can manually enter "A" records to point to the win1 server that my sites are on and enter the appropriate "MX" and "CNAME" records to point to mail.jodoshared.com as needed. I've done this with one domain and all seems to be working fine. I hate to have to manage this info manually over at my registrar but if it will solve DNS problems for my sites I'll do it.

I guess as long as the shared IP on win1 doesn't change I'm OK.

Do you have any thoughts on me doing this?

There shouldn't be problems with that as long as you maintain them right. Of course, if any DNS settings are wrong you can't go and blame JodoHost :rolleyes:

Yash, I checked out the dnsstuff site and it provides some interesting information. Actually this info comes form the dnsreport site. Can you tell me if you plan on fixing any of these warnings reported by dnsreports? I'm not an expert, but it indicates that some may be serious problems.

Warning: Your NS records at your authoritative DNS servers have TTLs that do not match what the parent servers report:
ns2.jodoshared.com. [TTL 172800 at parent; 86400 at 66.36.230.189]
ns1.jodoshared.com. [TTL 172800 at parent; 86400 at 66.36.230.189]
In some cases, this can cause some serious problems. For example, if the parent servers have a 172800 second TTL (48 hours), and your authoritative DNS servers report a TTL of 3600 seconds (1 hour), you are saying that the parent DNS servers do not have the correct information. But, after 1 hour your DNS records may time out. At that point a DNS resolver will need to get fresh NS records. This can cause a serious problem in some cases.
WARNING: Your SOA REFRESH interval is : 10800 seconds. This seems a bit high. You should consider decreasing this value to about 3600-7200 seconds. RFC1912 2.2 recommends a value between 1200 to 43200 seconds (20 minutes to 12 hours; 12 hours seems very high to us), although some registrars may limit you to 10000 seconds or higher, and if you are using DNS NOTIFY the refresh value is not as important (RIPE recommend 86400 seconds if using DNS NOTIFY). This value determines how often secondary/slave nameservers check with the master for updates. A value that is too high will cause DNS changes to be in limbo for a long time.
WARNING: One or more of your mailservers may be claiming to be a host other than what it really is (the SMTP greeting should be a 3-digit code, followed by a space or a dash, then the host name). This probably won't cause any harm, but may be a technical violation of RFC821 4.3 (and RFC2821 4.3.1).
mail.jodoshared.com claims to be host mail.m****here.biz.

SubSpace said:
There shouldn't be problems with that as long as you maintain them right. Of course, if any DNS settings are wrong you can't go and blame JodoHost :rolleyes:
You're right, but I just want it to work so I don't have to blame anybody. :]

Those problems DNSstuff reports aren't anything serious, and the mail thing is even unavoidable on shared hosting, unless you give all shared hosting customers a unique IP for every domain they host. Think not ;)

It may be a technical violation, but some RFCs aren't up to date or not in touch with everyday reality. Try implementing the IRC RFC and then connecting to a modern IRC server for example :)

I would still like to see my assigned nameservers resolve until root zonefile records update. Several of my websites haven't been functioning for 35+ hours now.

I know zonetransfers aren't working properly, but it's hardly a good excuse to my customers and users..

That's very bad. I'm sorry about that, open a ticket immediately and we'll correct the zone files

I'm pretty sure the old name server IPs must have kicked in by now. You may not be noticing it but most internet users would be landing up at the correct destination

Yash said:
That's very bad. I'm sorry about that, open a ticket immediately and we'll correct the zone files

I'm pretty sure the old name server IPs must have kicked in by now. You may not be noticing it but most internet users would be landing up at the correct destination
I'm getting the NS TTL and SOA REFRESH warnings right now on my brawney.com domain, which is hosted with jodoshared.com. I'm not sure I know what I am talking about, but I'll open a ticket if you say so.

OK Yash, I got a quick reply to my request to have my zone files fixed but the reply says:

A: hi,
Well the settings are by default for all the zones maintained on our servers.Please ignore them as DNS refreshes itself much more quicker(rather in seconds than hours).Feel free to contact us for further assistance.
Regards

Not really the reply I expected. If you think the DNS needs to be fixed please talk to your support folks.

Yash said:

Back