.net upload

Are you using VS and pointing it to jodohost for development purposes? That directory is for source control... just forget it. Just develop locally, using your local copy of IIS, then compile it and upload every aspx page and don't forget to include your DLL files in the bin directory and any web.config files, etc. It should work fine, so long as you turned ON .Net services for your domain in HSphere.
-Dave

WineIsGood said:
Are you using VS and pointing it to jodohost for development purposes? That directory is for source control... just forget it. Just develop locally, using your local copy of IIS, then compile it and upload every aspx page and don't forget to include your DLL files in the bin directory and any web.config files, etc. It should work fine, so long as you turned ON .Net services for your domain in HSphere.
-Dave
but...but.... that's no fun.... :]
I too am having those issues, but only on secondary directories I try to create (under the root website folder). It has been working fine to develop directly until I tried to add a directory. The main reason I "need" to be able to develop directly is because I develop fom a few different machines (desktop at home, desktop at work, laptop on the road). It would be a huge pain for me to try to develop locally on each of these machines and try to remember what files I needed to sync up when I moved on to another machine. Is there any other answer to this problem?
Thanks,

Yeah I know what you mean, but Microsoft has other plans for us developers. You see, they feel Visual Studio .NET is the next wave in web development software, on par with the way "real" programmers have been doing things for years. They want you to build a robust application, test it, compile it, and then deploy it. Just as if you were working in a "classic" compiled language like C, etc., where you actually have no choice but to work in the IDE, compile into an executable and/or DLLs, then deploy the finished product. So, if you want to work in Visual Studio .NET, it's difficult to get away with things like remote development and JIT server compilation (deploy VB files with ASPX files with src= commands) without the IDE complaining or getting things wrong. There are other options, like their Matrix editor, but VS gives you so much more that's it's tough to ignore. If you want to develop in multiple places, you can use VSS (their source control) and place that on a centralized server on the internet. Create a project on one computer locally, then add the entire project to source control. Whenever you want to develop on another computer, just "get latest version" and it will download all the changes to that local computer. Make the changes, test it locally, then check it all back in. That's the way multiple developers do it intra-office but I suppose there's nothing stopping you from putting the VSS software in a shared directory on the internet somewhere.
-Dave

WineIsGood said:
They want you to build a robust application, test it, compile it, and then deploy it. Just as if you were working in a "classic" compiled language like C, etc.,
-Dave
OK, so I tried that... :(

Anytime I try to do it that way, I get an error similar to the following:

Compilation Error

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: BC30180: Keyword does not name a type.

Source Error:

Line 31: <System.Runtime.CompilerServices.CompilerGlobalScopeAttribute()> _Line 32: Public Class Global_asaxLine 33: Inherits resume.GlobalLine 34: Line 35: Private Shared __initialized As Boolean = false

Source File: C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\0c6cd385\2d6c4304\wzhpyyha.0.vb Line: 33

Now the site on my local server is caller resume..... but the site I am deploying to is resume.brettstinson.com. I am assuming this is where the problem lies. Any ideas how to fix this?
[/font]

Hmm.. so is this something with "Inherits"? Did you put it manually, or changed the class name? Basicly it should work like this: Open the "Global.vb" file and look at the top of it. The namespace should be "resume" and the class name "Global". If not, then fix the Inherits line. It should look like "Inherits Namespace.ClassName".
Though the error description says:
A keyword appears where a type name is required. The context calls for either an elementary data type or a declared element name representing a type.
So.. maybe "resume" is a pre-defined word? Not sure...

StPatrick said:
Hmm.. so is this something with "Inherits"? Did you put it manually, or changed the class name?...
Sorry, I guess I should have said...
I created a brand new project on the local computer, allowed it to create the global.asax, web.config, etc....
Then, I added a default.aspx and put some simple code in it.
Built the project, copied everything including the bin directory,
and I can't get it to work, I get these errors no matter what I try????
Thanks for the help St. Patrick.

Hmm.. it seems that .NET cannot find the class. Check that you placed the bin folder in your root and not in any subfolder. It should be in the root of the Web Application.
Also, try removing the Global.asax from the project at all and see if you get the same error again with default.aspx. Of couse you need to re-compile it again.

Wine, do you see something that I don't see? Looks pretty strange, as that what I did exactly - created project, compiled and copied all except source files...

Not sure guys... haven't had much time to dwell on it, though. Patrik has an interesting thought -- I wouldn't use the word "resume" either. It should overload it, but still not a bright move. Try just creating a brand new project called Project1 or whatever the default is. In the default page place one asp:label object and call it label1. In the page_load() event place one line which says label1.text="foo". Compile it and run it on your local computer. If it works, upload aspx file into the root and the project1.dll file into the bin\ directory off of the root. If you have the debugging compiler directive turned on then also place the pdb file there too just for the hell of it. Make sure your global.asax file is empty and your web.config file says to turn off custom error messages. Now try it... what did you get? I'd like to see the code and a link to the page if you're getting an error. Of course, make sure you told HSphere to turn on .Net for your domain. By the way, I'm assuming you're using Visual Studio .Net, not that matrix editor, right?
-Dave

WineIsGood said:
I wouldn't use the word "resume" either. It should overload it, but still not a bright move...... By the way, I'm assuming you're using Visual Studio .Net, not that matrix editor, right?
-Dave
Doh... never said I was bright... 8)
wasn't thinking about the word re-zoom versus the word res-u m-a....
Yes, I see now where I might not ought to use that word. lol

Oh, and yes, I am using Visual Studio.

Anyhow, I don't have time to mess with it right now, so I just put in a redirect to my other site which has a working version of what I was trying to accomplish (classic ASP). I will work on this more in a week or two and update you if I get it to work or not.
It sure is hard finding the time to learn this new stuff when they make you keep doing things in classic asp at work. :(

Thanks to both StPatrick and WineIsGood for your time and effort.

Hello, I know I am new to Jodo but I just set up my first online ASP.NET page tonight and I had this same exact problem. I found that when I did what StPatrick said "Check that you placed the bin folder in your root and not in any subfolder." It worked. I was placing my bin files in a mydomain.com/ASPTEST/bin folder when i moved my bin folder and .dll's to mydomian.com/bin everything worked fine. Hope this might help some other newbi's. Again thanks to eveyone on this board for the help with setting up asp.

KJTFS

hi, i have the same BC30180 problem, i got this error when i copied everything from another folder into a new virtual directory. This is what it reported, any ideas?
:evil:

Source Error:
Line 31: <System.Runtime.CompilerServices.CompilerGlobalScopeAttribute()> _
Line 32: Public Class Global_asax
Line 33: Inherits New.Global
Line 34:
Line 35: Private Shared __initialized As Boolean = false

Source File: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\3c_new\748119ba\d80c11d4\8i7xgqnt.0.vb Line: 33

bstinson said:
OK, so I tried that... :(

Anytime I try to do it that way, I get an error similar to the following:

Compilation Error

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Source Error:

Line 31: <System.Runtime.CompilerServices.CompilerGlobalScopeAttribute()> _Line 32: Public Class Global_asaxLine 33: Inherits resume.GlobalLine 34: Line 35: Private Shared __initialized As Boolean = false

Source File: C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\0c6cd385\2d6c4304\wzhpyyha.0.vb Line: 33

Now the site on my local server is caller resume..... but the site I am deploying to is resume.brettstinson.com. I am assuming this is where the problem lies. Any ideas how to fix this?
[/font]

Back