New site - time for some critique :)

tr1stan

Perch
Hi guys,

Would love for you guys to have a look at this site:

http://www.deardotdotdot.com/

It's been up for a few months now and has over 1500 letters....would love for some advise on promotion etc as I feel it's time to start spreading the word!

Thanks for you time and I look forward to reading your suggestions.

T

Personally, I like the really clean and simple design.

However opening the site, it all loads quickly, about 2 seconds for me, but then every 2-4 seconds I see a refresh of some sort on the status bar, is there some ajax or something refreshing content on the fly making this? or am I just seeing things :D

Again, all seems loaded fine, even fasterfox quits timer count, then it starts trying to connect over and over. (only seen in statusbar, site is fine)

Wow Stephen, that was a record response :)

The site is just plain old xhtml/css with no AJAX/JavaScript actions being performed after the page is loaded (except on the add a letter section and the google ad generation).
I wanted to get people using the basic functionality before I started wiring in Ajax voting and favourite handling.

I'm really not sure what is making the site seem to perform refresh after a few seconds, very strange.

T

I like that site.

Is this a CMS powered site? If so, what CMS is being used?

I am looking for an AJAX developer...

Thanks Dsh!

The site isn't powered by any CMS or publishing platform - it's all hand coded by me.

The problem with digg is I don't know enough people to make a post popular, do you have any suggestions?

Using Firefox in IE rendering mode it was impossible to change the text size, which was minute. In Firefox rendering though it was fine. Jolly nice site but what exactly is it for? ..............later........just posted a letter as "General Public" Great fun I must admit, in the sort of Jeremy Clarkson mold. May I add a link to your site from my new site?

Hi BluJag,

You can change the text size in standard IE, are you sure that's not just an issue with the FireFox Extension?

Good work on the letter, glad to see you get the point :)

Please link to it, that would be great.

Tristan

Sorry Tristan - just checked the site in IE - no probs at all. I used the Tell A Friend feature to email the NHS letter to a few mates. Will add a link in my "Kniffty Of The Month" part of my new site.
All the best

Back