Newbie in Cold Fusion distress

wyzgy

Guppy
Hi there all, I'm new to the forum not so new to jodohost though. I have used them off on on for a while now for different sites and love em'. Way to go guys !

Anyway I just started learning cold fusion mx and downloaded the recordstore tutorial from macromedia. I was able to get it to run locally and I am now trying to deploy it. I have no idea what I am doing, but I'll tell you what I have done so far. I requested the dns be added for my access database located at clickonwebsites.com/recordstore.mdb . I also requested parent addresses be enable then I set odbc settings to look like this my settings .

I don't know what to do from here. I am confused to about the dns name in the settings. I used dereamweavermx to design the pages and am not sure if I need to change the code to reflect the settings on jodohost. Anyway, here's where I am stuck. Also you can view this page to see the error I am getting. Thanks in advance for sharing the knowledge !

use the full and exact DSN name you asked to be created. That error is appearing because it simply can't locate that DSN on the system

Hi Yash, Thanks for your help.

I changed the dsn name to username-recordstore . When I asked for the dsn support asked me where the db was and I gave them this clickonwebsites.com/recordstore.mdb should the dns name be username-clickonwebsites.com/recordstore.mdb ?

Also, in the odbc settings for user name and pasword for the access driver, is that supposed to be user login for jodohost or for the database ? If is for the database there is no password because this is simply a test. Can those fields be left blank ? Sorry so many questions. May be time for a trip to the book store!

replace username with your real username
If your username is wyzgy, your DSN name would be:
wyzgy-recordstore

If that doesn't work, let me know

wyzgy said:
Hi Yash, Thanks for your help.

I changed the dsn name to username-recordstore . When I asked for the dsn support asked me where the db was and I gave them this clickonwebsites.com/recordstore.mdb should the dns name be username-clickonwebsites.com/recordstore.mdb ?

Also, in the odbc settings for user name and pasword for the access driver, is that supposed to be user login for jodohost or for the database ? If is for the database there is no password because this is simply a test. Can those fields be left blank ? Sorry so many questions. May be time for a trip to the book store!

Firstly your DSN (Data Source Name) does NOT have to be directly related to your file name. Matter of fact, some people will say it SHOULD NOT be related to the name of your file or domain, rather make it unique to the application processes it serves.

A couple of things to suggest -

For ColdFusion I believe that the Admin (via a trouble ticket) has to create any DSN. The ODBC DSN's in the HSphere control pannel don't work for anything that ColdFusion handles. Not sure *why* that is but for my case that is.

Secondly, might I suggest that for security purposes that you NOT put your database where someone can download it. If you've put your database file in your domain directory (clickonweb.com/xxxxx.mdb) then you have made your database available for download by anyone who can guess the file name.

To overcome this, create a directory at your root (I called mine Access_DB) and put the database file there. Then, when creating your DSN, reference /Access_DB/xxxxx.mdb instead of domain.com/xxxxx.mdb.

Hope this makes sense and best of luck!

Regards,
Hatton
http://www.ithinkitsnifty.com

Thanks for the help guys.

I have tried everything to no avail. I just can't figure out whats up. Here are what my settings are http://www.clickonwebsites.com/settings.htm. I have also put the database in a access_db folder in my root folder like you suggested, you can see it in the screen shot on the settings page. Here is the page that keeps showing the error http://www.clickonwebsites.com/catalog.cfm. Also, I am confused by the username and password fields for the odbc settings. Should I be using my jodohost account login, or a user name and password for the database if it is protected, or can it be left blank. I appreciate all the input. I think colfusion is making my hair fall out : )

Jeff

wyzgy said:
Thanks for the help guys.

I have tried everything to no avail. I just can't figure out whats up. Here are what my settings are http://www.clickonwebsites.com/settings.htm. I have also put the database in a access_db folder in my root folder like you suggested, you can see it in the screen shot on the settings page. Here is the page that keeps showing the error http://www.clickonwebsites.com/catalog.cfm. Also, I am confused by the username and password fields for the odbc settings. Should I be using my jodohost account login, or a user name and password for the database if it is protected, or can it be left blank. I appreciate all the input. I think colfusion is making my hair fall out : )

Jeff

LOL It should not be that bad.

For the username and password, leave them blank unless the database requires a login. For most Access databases you shouldn't need anything for this.

Also, I still think you'll need to submit a trouble ticket requesting that a ColdFusion DSN be created for you to use (unless someone else can contradict that). That was how I got my DSN working. Submit a ticket with the requested DSN name and database name and your account info (of course) and they should get you up and rolling in a short time.

Regards!
Hatton

Hatton is correct.

Submit a ticket requesting the dns you've chosen. Wait for them to set it up in the CF Administrator (usually under 48 hours.)

In you CF code, use the full DSN username-datasource. If you haven't already, I suggest you setup the DSN in an application.cfm file and then use #dsn# in your queries. That will save you a lot of trouble if you need to make any changes.

Also, if you have CF MX, set up the the server on your local machine and mirror the settings you have with jodohost. Then setup the local server as your testing server in Dreamweaver. The you can play with it until success and be confident that your site will work on jodohost.

Good luck.

YASH: Any luck on the 'cross-cluster' or whatever you called it for CF and MYSQL?

Couple more things.

If you have not setup a user/pass for the Access database, do not enter one in the ODBC settings.

And, your directory structure reads /acces_db (ACCES NOT ACCESS) but in the ODBC you have it as /access_db. It would help to fix that.

Back