No auto-response for support ticket on e-mail issue

Dave

Perch
I sent in ticket #29130 just over one hour ago, and have not received the usual auto-response, and no response from support, so I don't know if the ticket was received or not.

Just to expand a bit on the ticket info, in case someone can track it down:
The problems detailed in the ticket are still occurring. I've just received another batch of 6 e-mails from my site with sent times ranging up to 3.5 hours from the delivery time.

I thought the problem might be with my ISP, but e-mails sent to my domain address or my ISP address from my PC are always delivered with little to no lag (under 1 minute). The problem appears to be only mail sent from my website to my domain address. (Possibly my users are experiencing problems, too. But I have not recieved complaints yet.)

Maybe someone is working on this, but thought I'd better double-check since I have no indication one way or the other.

Thanks.

Yes, I am using CDONTS. If I were to make a change, I think I'd go with CDO. However, I don't think it should be necessary for me to recode my web pages as CDONTS is installed on the Win2000 server and should continue to work properly as it has for over a year now.

I was thinking the problem might be due to overloading of the mail server by some other site (mass mailing) as the problem seems to be intermittent (though has been happening every day for the past 3 or 4 days). It's just weird that my mail is delivered in batches, regardless of when they are generated.

Yeah, something is definitely wrong with that. I would send some test messages over the course of an hour and then give up. Later on, they would all come in at the exact same time. The headers showed the time they were actually received on the IIS SMTPSVC, but they were stuck there for some annoying reason.

I hope you get helped on this soon.

Thanks, devorem... and thanks for the earlier hint. I changed my forum to CDO and received a response immediately. I changed it back to CDONTS and no response. So the problem is definitely with CDONTS. If I wanted to change my mail support on my site to CDO, I'd have to do a fair amount of recoding because I use mail in numerous applications.

If support is reading this thread, they will know where to start looking at the problem. I still have no response from support on my ticket after 2 hours. And still no confirmation through this forum that it's being looked at (even though Rajneesh was here after I started the thread). I'm not sure who would actually check into it.

Thanks again, devorem!

Just received the CDONTS generated test e-mail mentioned in my last post, one hour after it was created. Almost 3 hours since I created the ticket and no response from support. I still don't know if support even received ticket #29130. Some kind of confirmation here would be a courtesy, just so I know I'm not sitting here like a dummy waiting support for nothing.

My forum was easy to change to CDO, so I made that change permanently. However, it would be nice if JodoHost fixed their problem with CDONTS instead of relying on customers to do the work of recoding (and retesting) their ASP applications to work with another e-mail component, instead of their semi-broken one (or whatever the real problem is).

And fix the problem with the auto-response while you're at it.

Thank you.

Changing the forum to CDO seems to have had a worse impact than slow e-mail from CDONTS, so I had to change it back. CDO seems to generate an error, then doesn't send e-mail at all.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, no word from support after 3.5 hours, no acknowledgement in the forum that my ticket was received. Even though I've seen Rajneesh here a couple of times, and Atul was here for a while, too. I suppose it's just too much to ask to get a "We're looking into it" response so I know that at least I'm not being totally ignored.

Have you tried going into your control panel and adding another message to your ticket? That should generate a new e-mail and I think it puts it back in the top of the stack for tech support. If it was just an oversight, they might notice it if you do that.

No, I haven't tried that. Although I would think each new support ticket would go to the bottom of the response list, not the top. Thanks for the suggestion though, I will try that. I'm just ticked off that I know JodoHost personnel have been on here several times, so some kind of acknowledgement would have been appreciated.

Dave

Myself and another admin have already looked into this issue with very little success. The queue seems normal and I can't find any server related issue that may have caused this. However, if your mail is being routed through the mail server, there was an issue on it (related to the CP problem) that has been fixed. That may have been slowing down your email.

We are still looking into this issue and Stephen will be looking into this as well first thing on his shift.

Thank you, Yash. I wonder if the mail issue with CP had anything to do with me getting CDO transport errors (that I mentioned in another thread). My forum seemed to work very well once I changed it to CDO (mail received in under 1 minute), but later every post generated an error and no e-mail. I had to change back to CDONTS because of the error, but the delivery is back to very slow mode.

I might try going back to CDO and do some tests... though I hate to leave it unattended that way in case it's only working temporarily again. The uncertainty is annoying.

Anyway, thanks again for following up on the issue.

Dave, could you tell me if your CDONTS emails are routing through our mail server (have you specified a SMTP server)?

I use the following ASP code if that answers your question:

Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")

I assume that it goes through your mail server. Don't see how it uses anyone elses.

Yash said:
We are still looking into this issue and Stephen will be looking into this as well first thing on his shift.
Just to update Stephen on the status, I reconfigured my forum to use CDO instead of CDONTS, and I received a response from a test post in about 10 seconds, or less. But a post that was made prior to the change (using CDONTS) just arrived, just under 1 hour after being posted. So the CDONTS problem, or whatever it is, still persists.

I have just checked everything, and reregistered cdonts just for the heck of it, I will continue looking for any other cause of this weirdness.

I can't imagine I'm the only one who's suddenly experiencing this problem. Or maybe it has something to do with my domain, although I've not made any changes recently. I sent myself another test message from the site to my telus.net address, and another one to my voices-for-change.com address. I received the telus.net e-mail within a few minutes, it's been two hours now and the other one has not yet been delivered. I am assuming that my users are not noticing a problem as they all have their own (different) e-mail addresses not connected with my domain. It's pretty odd, if that is the case, that my own domain is having a problem sending e-mail to the same domain. And just as I described previously, if I send myself an e-mail to my domain address from my PC (and not from the site) it is delivered virtually immediately.

Doesn't make sense to me, and if it's only affecting my domain e-mail addresses it's not a major deal, but it is annoying, and logically shouldn't be happening. It's less of a big deal now that I've changed my forum to CDO, but I'm hoping it can be fixed as I monitor various aspects of my site via e-mail and it can potentially create problems if I'm not notified of an issue in a timely manner.

Thanks!

I forgot that it was mentioned earlier in this thread that devorem also had the same problem, so I guess it isn't just me.

Back