OT: Cat 6 cabling...twists per foot (or meter)

skypanther

Exalted Code Master!
Anyone know the specs on cat 6 cabling? It might be labeled as "pitch" rather than twists per length.

Thanks,
Tim

I am not sure there is a "spec" that is followed as much as there is a minimum tested standard.

I have seen some cat6 cable that is so tight it seems like if you cut the jacket it would start into a self initiated twisting and turning freespin, while others have had a different twist pattern that was not as tight.

I may also mention the twist pattern that was not as tight is much easier to actually use!

This may or may not help. I believe the CAT standards are defined by the International Standards organization (ISO) but I'm not sure where to find the official specifications.

Like Stephen said, I don't think many companies that produce Cat 5/6 follow the standards 100% and it's most likely a "whatever works" kind of thing.

Thanks. I'm writing a guide and have a table listing the twists per meter of the other categories. It looks odd leaving cat 6 empty. I'll put in something like "Varies" so I don't have an empty spot.

Thanks,
Tim

Back