PHP and mssql

Hi

I'm looking for a hosting company that can specifically do this:

We have a Microsoft SQL Server already set up here and we need a host that has the necessary libraries so that PHP can connect to it using either mssql functions or odbc functions. Preferablly mssql.

Do your LINUX servers allow this? If not, do your Windows servers allow this?

Thanks!

I've done this on Windows servers at least (mssql functions).
Had to ask for the module to be installed first though, so it might not be installed on the server you end up on.

Windows allow it, all servers should have the module in place they just need to be enabled by php.ini or ini_set functions.

Old thread, but just found that Win22 doesn't have the mssql module set up yet. Don't tell me nobody's used php with mssql on Win22 yet? :p Opened a support ticket, hopefully will happen very quickly. Why isn't this just enabled by default when building a new server?

PHP won't work well with SQL 2005 at all, just a fair warning.

We are willing to install the MS PHP PDO extension but it will require substantial code changes inmost cases.

Oh terrific.. thanks again Microsoft!
I'm using mssql5 - hopefully it escaped being lobotomised and is still SQL2000?

MS seems to be making a habit of ignoring backward compatibility with their own products. They're even starting to tick *me* off - and I code in VB! :)

[ed] By the way - why don't you run BOTH sql 2000 and 2005 on your servers? I run both here on my dev server, they seem to play nice together. At least it gives cynical people like me the choice, while satisfying the edge-cutters. Would overall server performance be affected by simply running both? Or even if you just keep one sql2000 server.. for old times' sake.. ok, just for me? :)

Oh terrific.. thanks again Microsoft!
I'm using mssql5 - hopefully it escaped being lobotomised and is still SQL2000?

MS seems to be making a habit of ignoring backward compatibility with their own products. They're even starting to tick *me* off - and I code in VB! :)

[ed] By the way - why don't you run BOTH sql 2000 and 2005 on your servers? I run both here on my dev server, they seem to play nice together. At least it gives cynical people like me the choice, while satisfying the edge-cutters. Would overall server performance be affected by simply running both? Or even if you just keep one sql2000 server.. for old times' sake.. ok, just for me? :)

mssql5 is SQL 2000, we don't plan on upgrading them because it is not a very good process, and in fact can result in data losses that are quite substantial in some cases. I have read about many upgrades that have failed in this 2000-->2005 process and not willing to risk it for perfectly running servers.

Good to hear, upgrading to sql 2005 would mean changing connection strings at the very least, and using a new db driver often has unpredictable implications for code.

So.. whew. :)

Back