PHP issues - moving from windows to linux

I think I read somewhere else that you can't move directly from a windows based plan to a linux based plan. So what options do I have to make this happen for a new customer?

The issue is that they have a PHP driven site that works on a FreeBSD unix host currently, and nothing is working right on the windows host here. My idea for them is to move it to a linux server and see if things start working correctly..

there are some modules and apps that just won't work right on windows side, there is no migration/move to linux you pretty much have to remove the domain on windows account and add on linux and move the files.

Can that be done without deleting and readding the account? I'm not worried about removing the web files and reuploading them, just about removing the DB and account and adding it new..

You can run the accounts side by side temporarily, and only remove the domain, then readd on linux side using windows side DB, then work to move DB on its own.

I'm not sure I follow, I can't run accounts having the same login info side-by-side can I? So basically I'd have to download the web files and DB, delete the account, create a new account on a linux plan, and go from there? Or can it all be under the same account somehow?

they can have the same login but why do they have to?

it can't be under the same physical account but you CAN run a windows and linux account side by side and just deal with the domain sharing issue, once that is all migrated you can then remove the windows account

I guess it's mostly a customer service issue. It's hard to tell a customer that they can't have the same user id that they just signed up for, and must change it..

I ended up deleting and readding the account. Just wish there was an easier way to do it right in the control panel to remove the domain from a windows server and then create it on the linux servers.. That would certainly be helpful. Not even to move the data, we can do that ourselves. But if the account stays in tact, then we don't have to put billing back in, go through signup again, setup email again, etc.. Just is an awful lot of stuff to do just to change it from a windows server to a linux server, from a customer service perspective. I know it's not JH's fault, and I'm certainly not blaming you guys. You guys are an awesome company that goes head and shoulders above to help your customers. Just wish Psoft would get on board with making things more customer friendly..

Back