phpBB problem

Hmm, interesting bug that PHP 4.3.9 one...

I've been having some other problems with the same version on my home server. 2 kernel panics and some other random errors, where one particular PHP script runs 24/7. It used to run fine before some recent updates.. guess it's time to update again :p

After reading the PHP 4.3.10 changelog I think JodoHost would do well to update to this version as well. On Apache with PHP 4.3.9 it's easy to kill apache childprocesses. With enough of those requests you could probably DoS the webserver no problem at all. On Windows I'm not sure what the effects are, but they can't be good.

Then there's the memory leaks of course. Might be hard to exploit on purpose, but always a source of danger.

I'm no expert with PHP but our team has locked down PHP pretty well and we run the cgi edition. Have disabled quite a number of things that can be exploited

Anyway, thanks for the article. We'll be investigating this and updating to 4.3.10 soon after

Regarding phpBB. Although you can do phpBB installations through HSphere, we do not officially support that and anyone who uses phpBB should be downloading it directly from their site and be aware of it. But anyway, I will be making an announcement about it

PSOFT has released patch 6 which upgrades phpBB to the latest but we aren't going to be applying that at least in the next 2 weeks (till its properly tested)

Back