PHPmailer Stopped Working on Jodohost

I have been having problems with the phpmailer class working since Thursday Feb 26th 2009. Whats interesting is that prior to Thursday Feb 26, 2009 it was working good. I hadn't made any changes to code in that domain in a month or so. One day... it stops working. I am told that its because the domain is on the banned mail list. So i immediately try a different domain... one that i know is not banned. I am using SMTP as the type of mail sending. I have not received a real answer as to why and now my requests to get the problem fixed has only elevated my ticket to the status of being "Place on Hold".

Has anyone had any problems with the phpmailer class besides me? and moreover, recently had problems with the phpmailer class. I was recommended that as a sollution to the mail class because that was being killed on the server. Jodohost recommended the phpmailer class. And it worked, wonderfully, until last week.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Stephen, please post updates or at least let us know what changes we need to make to get our sites working. I have dozens using phpmailer in various ways (pre-built CMSs, forums, custom code, form mailers, etc.). Testing them all will be difficult and expensive.

Thanks,
Tim

Tanmaya,

I checked two of my sites and they are working. I'm just being lazy in not wanting to check the other dozen! :p I guess no one is complaining so I won't worry.

Kidding aside, I figured that if there was some change that I needed to make based on your fixes for purealter, I'd rather know now so I could implement it before my clients complain.

Thanks,
Tim

That's the standard way to use SMTP Auth. Are you saying we no longer need to use authentication? It's in all my custom code. I'd have to check in the CMS/forums, as I'm sure they use that line if I fill in SMTP authentication values in their forms (which I've always done).

The two sites I tested and one a customer did (I got his newsletter this morning) all use SMTP auth.

Tim

To use PHP mailer with SMTP auth, you would need lines like the following:

PHP:
$mail = new PHPMailer();
$mail->IsSMTP(); // tells the class to use SMTP rather than mail()
$mail->SMTPAuth = true; // tells the class to use SMTP Auth
$mail->Username = 'address@ example.com';
$mail->Password = 'password';
$mail->Host = 'mail .mydomain.com';

I could use PHPMailer without SMTP authentication but still using SMTP as my transport with:

PHP:
$mail = new PHPMailer();
$mail->IsSMTP(); // tells the class to use SMTP rather than mail()
$mail->SMTPAuth = false; // default, not needed
$mail->Host = 'mail .mydomain.com';

(spaces added to keep the forums from creating links)

Tim

Ok, I see that now, I got confused with another property ( '$Mailer') that does the same task and was set as well. Let me look at this one again. Thank you for having me look into it, or i would have waited until reply from purealtar.

Downloaded latest and worked just fine. Explained the problem to client. I don't think you will be affected. You can still randomly check 3-4 of your forms.

So is the PHP function mail() no longer supported? That doesn't sound likely, there are lots of legacy software packages that need this.

If not, what is the status of fixing it?

For spam reasons, mail() has been restricted to sending to domains hosted at JodoHost for about as long as I've been hosting sites here (years). You need to implement SMTP Authentication, which is not supported by mail(). Hence the thread about phpMailer, which is a script that does support SMTP Auth.

Most CMSs, forums, etc. that I've worked with support SMTP Auth either by using phpMailer or through custom code. I've used phpMailer in all my custom coding projects for years.

Tim

Tanmaya, id appreciate if you look into my ticket. BHQ-21493-368
Mail is not working from any of my domains for over 24 hours including phpmailer and cdosys both using smtp.

Ok, PhpMailer is working for me when I run a test consisting of 3 emails. I use $mailer->AddBCC($foo) and then send one email when it's loaded all 3 EMail addys.

However, I have a database of 400 people, and when I run the same code (AddBCC) the email doesn't get sent.

Is there a limit to how many you can put into BCC?

I've added a batch counter (set to 90) and am going to try that...i.e. send an email when 90 have been added to BCC.........z

Ok, PhpMailer is working for me when I run a test consisting of 3 emails. I use $mailer->AddBCC($foo) and then send one email when it's loaded all 3 EMail addys.

However, I have a database of 400 people, and when I run the same code (AddBCC) the email doesn't get sent.

Is there a limit to how many you can put into BCC?

I've added a batch counter (set to 90) and am going to try that...i.e. send an email when 90 have been added to BCC.........z

I don't think you can do 400 on BCC, I don't know the limit but that is a lot :)

Damn that was fast Stephen..lol....Thanks!!...maybe I'll set the batches to 49 or something......I'll post my results....OK!! That worked. Here's the code snippet for the next person. Notice the extra $mailer->send() at the end, that sends the final batch:

Code:
while ($HoldRow) {
	$LoopCount++;
	$BatchCount++;
	if ($LoopCount > 500) die("Too many - $LoopCount");

if ($HoldRow["HEMail"] != "") {
//	if ($HoldRow["HName"] == "Hans") {	

$SendTo = $HoldRow["HEMail"];
		echo "Sent To: " . $SendTo . "<BR>";

$mailer->AddBCC("$SendTo");
		$SendCount++;

}

if ($BatchCount > 48) {
		if(!$mailer->Send()) {
    		echo "There was a problem sending this mail!";
			}
   		 	else
  			{
	    	echo "Mail sent!";
		}
		$BatchCount = 0;
		$mailer->ClearBCCs();
	}  

$HoldRow = mysql_fetch_array($HoldResult);

}
?><BR><?php

if(!$mailer->Send()) {
    echo "There was a problem sending this mail!";
    }
    else
    {
    echo "Mail sent!";
}

.....z

Too many in bcc is a red flag for some spam filters I've been told. If you're already doing batches, why not do individual emails to each address (on the To line)?

Tim

Too many in bcc is a red flag for some spam filters I've been told. If you're already doing batches, why not do individual emails to each address (on the To line)?

Tim

Cause I'm sending 400 emails?,,,,And what do you think 'too many' is?.....

z

Ok, PHPMailer works as a standalone script, but it won't work inside of Joomla for some reason.

I'm using jumli inside the forms to process the PHP scripts that have PHPMailer inside of them......I've messed with the paths to make it direct, but can't get it to work......anybody got any ideas.....do I have to go into the phpmailer class to fix this?.....z

Update...got the email to work, but the from address is [email protected]****here.biz......lol

When I used this: $mailer->AddAddress($PostEM1); instead of $mailer-> To = $PostEM1; , it started mailing. It's not picking up the info from the site config file though......

Update: I got this to work now in Joomla: http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=15184 .........z

Back