Privacy Concerns

OK, m****here.biz is going to be visible to some of your investigative customers

But yes, we have taken efforts to ensure m****here.biz isn't traced to us. I'll immediately remove those posts from DirectI.

EDIT: Apart from that, it is very difficult for a customer to trace you back to us. We have even decided not take take IP blocks in our name for this reason..

If there is any other privacy concern, let me know..

Hmm, I hope JodoHost takes care of that.

But I think JodoHost has done a good job with reseller privacy. I told someone that I was a reseller and asked him if he could find out who was my host, he wasn't able to

M****here.biz doesn't sound an obvious name a customer would search.. Good thinking by JodoHost that they named it by "hsphere"

I have a friend that hosts with another popular HSphere reseller provider. There domain is also a hsphere.** You do a search on that and the first result that comes out is their forums.. And what makes it worse is that the IP block is owned by that company. Once search at dnsstuff.com with any of their IPs takes you to their reseller site!

Yash said:
I've corrected the stepbystep page. Use crtl +f5 and you'll notice i removed m****here.biz from the pictures of the first page as well.

The thread has also been deleted (it was of 6 pages). Both these should be unlisted by google in 7 or 10 days hopefully

Cool, thanks for doing that

Unfortunately Google may remove this in months. Anyway, it's a very good start. More effectivity can be achieved if you use the google link removal page

Ron said:
But I think JodoHost has done a good job with reseller privacy. I told someone that I was a reseller and asked him if he could find out who was my host, he wasn't able to

One of my customers was able to detect JH in 10 mnutes :(

Inka said:

Not too hard really.. Check registration on m****here.biz, Google for "Atul Kumar hosting" ;)
It can't be made airtight obviously.

Yeah, but you can't say that there is only one Atul Kumar and he is working for JodoHost :)

To be honest, no hosting company can make privacy for you bullet-proof. No hosting company in the world... We have taken all the measures we can.
The best thing is to make sure you don't look like a reseller so your customers do not suspect you :)

Even if one or two customers claim you are a reseller, you can always say that you have control over the servers and that you have some management contract with us or whatever you want. And of course most resellers here would be changing over to servers once they have a sufficient customer base (and we have some resellers doing very well). You can claim any relationship with us to a customer that suspects you of being our reseller (except stating that you own Jodohost ;) )

Everyone is a reseller, we resell bandwidth space from our ISP.

Inka said:
Cool, thanks for doing that

Unfortunately Google may remove this in months. Anyway, it's a very good start. More effectivity can be achieved if you use the google link removal page

lol, you must have made some mistake then :) I agree with Yash and SubSpace. There is no such thing as bullet-proof privacy, JodoHost nor any reseller provider can offer you

But JodoHost has done alot of things I noticed. Connect via FTP to any of their servers and the FTP server throws some random computer name as the host :) JodoHost didn't even put win6.m****here.biz or whatever

I asked for a CF DSN name to be created, they specified the server name as mssql2.myhost.com and not mssql2.m****here.biz. That's good too. The IP block is not in their name and m****here.biz is a really good anonymous name that wouldn't arouse suspicions if it did show up...

I'm very happy. Now if JodoHost could just ensure that we do not have a repeat of Win5 :)

Inka said:

how do you use the link removal page? where is it?

Ron said:
lol, you must have made some mistake then :) I agree with Yash and SubSpace. There is no such thing as bullet-proof privacy, JodoHost nor any reseller provider can offer you

Sorry if I weak your argument, but no mistake from my part. The person was smart enough to do something similar to what I described. I even didn't give him the dnsstuff.com link or something like that.

Yash said:
how do you use the link removal page? where is it?

Here:

http://services.google.com:8882/urlconsole/controller?cmd=reload&lastcmd=login

Yash said:
The best thing is to make sure you don't look like a reseller so your customers do not suspect you :)

:) Yes, thanks, I do not look like one, however, although a customer find out the link with JH, I am worried that the competitors can do that too. There are many forums in spanish where I have seen that competitors discover the reseller provider of many hostings. I want to make sure that, even if it's not possible to hide 100% my link with JH, at least the most obvious things (like the ones mentioned in this thread) can be removed

Do not take this as a criticism, but rather, as an opportunity to improve the privacy of your resellers by listening to some concerns we have

Thanks

I don't take this as criticism..

None of your customers see the m****here.biz unless of course they do a traceroute or do a DNSreport on it..

Your only link with us is the m****here.biz domain. And of course, we are trying to make this as anonymous as possible. I doubt any of your customer's would reason m****here.biz to be suspicious... I doubt any of your customers or competitors would do extended research on this domain. And even after that, the chances are they might not be able to trace it back to us.

All in all, the privacy level we provide is sufficiently higher that other companies. Just make sure you do not look like a reseller, do not copy our pages, agreements or prices and you have no need to worry

Even if a customer traces you to the m****here.biz domain and traces it back to JodoHost, that DOES NOT mean you are reseller and you can easily describe your relationship with us as different.. You can say that you are simply using our DNS servers or our DNS servers are maintained by Jodohost

Yash,

It will be very difficult that anybody can link me with you based on some things I can "copy" from JH, since my entire business is in Spanish

I was just pointing out some things I was concern about, and I am glad that you have took those into consideration.

I do not mind to lose some smart customers based on the problem I described, but being discovered by competitors (and worse in public forums) is another thing that I want to make sure I won't experience

That was my whole intention and be sure that I will take into account your recommendations

Thanks again

Alot of hosting companies start out as resellers, you are really worrying too much about this :)

If you want, you can call me to any spanish forum and I'll openly declare you are not our reseller. I'll have to learn some spanish but if your fear subsides because of that, I'm willing to do it :)

It is still very hard for your client or your competitor to trace you back to us. And even if he does, he can in no way say that your websites are being hosted on our servers. For him, the only link would be the m****here.biz domain

And of course, I'm willing to take any privacy measures our resellers suggest..

Yash said:
If you want, you can call me to any spanish forum and I'll openly declare you are not our reseller. I'll have to learn some spanish but if your fear subsides because of that, I'm willing to do it :)

Sorry for butting in, but I would keep these kind of offers of help to private emails!! ;) Don't want the wrong people reading them... very helpful though.

I would really like to upgrade to a reseller account in time, but when I looked at it before, I felt the setup was a little complex - setting up nameservers etc. Yash - do you offer any setup service?

Yash said:

:D I have not been discovered, but others have, and I do not want to be one of them.

But, no problem, I am not too worried either, and now that you have removed the info I told you, I am very happy indeed 8)

By the way, I can teach you spanish if you offer me a discount on my reseller package :D

Of course you can teach me Hindi or Kannada. In fact, the customer I was talking about lives in Bangalore :p

LegalAlien said:
I would really like to upgrade to a reseller account in time, but when I looked at it before, I felt the setup was a little complex - setting up nameservers etc. Yash - do you offer any setup service?

There is a strong reason we do not offer any setup service or setup reseller accounts for resellers - we want them to learn the system. If you become dependent on us for every small operation, you'll regret it. The entire HSphere system has been built for resellers and to give them indepedence from the service provider..

It's not that hard. You need a few hours over the weekend to understand it but once you do, you'll enjoy it over any other reseller program

Yash said:
There is a strong reason we do not offer any setup service or setup reseller accounts for resellers - we want them to learn the system. If you become dependent on us for every small operation, you'll regret it. The entire HSphere system has been built for resellers and to give them indepedence from the service provider..

It's not that hard. You need a few hours over the weekend to understand it but once you do, you'll enjoy it over any other reseller program

Fair comment - thank you. Guess I was just being lazy :] I'm sure you'll be willing to answer any questions if I get too confused...?

Inka said:
By the way, I can teach you spanish if you offer me a discount on my reseller package :D

Of course you can teach me Hindi or Kannada. In fact, the customer I was talking about lives in Bangalore :p

I've lived in the United States for a substantial bit of time so I'm not good with any Indian language :( I know quite a bit of French though..

I think Atul was interested in learning a bit of Spanish :)

Back