push mail

Push mail can be done with IMAP

when you email me it pushes to my phone instantly :D

hummm Maybe I dont have the right phone.
I use a SonyEricsson T300. Didnt see IMAP option.. but will check again.

So, a phone with IMAP will have messages pushed to it automatically?
Nothing to be ajusted on the server side?

imap alone doesnt mean push, some require special function, I use IMAP with chatteremail on my Treo

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm getting an iPhone and need my email servers to push mail to it. I've searched on "push mail", but didn't find any posts that helped explain how to do it, or even if it could be done here at Jodohost.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I need to know

a) can it be done here, and
b) if it can, how?

Thanks!

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm getting an iPhone and need my email servers to push mail to it. I've searched on "push mail", but didn't find any posts that helped explain how to do it, or even if it could be done here at Jodohost.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I need to know

a) can it be done here, and
b) if it can, how?

Thanks!

Not real sure what you are talking about but I have a iTouch and have it set up with email and it uses IMAP.

How often do you retrieve mail? The default 15 minutes interval?

Everything I've read is that if you want real time email on the iPhone it's done via "push mail" (pushing the email to the client vs waiting on the client to poll for new mail). The lowest time interval for polling is 15 minutes, and I want/need real time.

How often do you retrieve mail? The default 15 minutes interval?

Everything I've read is that if you want real time email on the iPhone it's done via "push mail" (pushing the email to the client vs waiting on the client to poll for new mail). The lowest time interval for polling is 15 minutes, and I want/need real time.

If you use IMAP on the iPhone all you have to do is touch the circle arrow and will automatically update.

Check these sites out:
http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2008/05/07/iphone-20-mac-push-email/
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007/09/12/want-push-email-on-your-iphone-no-problem/
http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2008/07/18/problems-sending-iphone-mail-through-mobileme-alias-accounts/

It sounds like on some of the sites the "push" feature might just work with MobileMe and I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Apple usually fines ways to sucker people into buying extra things. Thats how I got more with my laptop then expected. :rolleyes:

it turns out that some people say MobileME isn't even pushing properly but taking 5 to 15 minutes as well

I have real push with simply IMAP on my centro:D

"Push" isn't part of the standard IMAP implementation though, so I think you have something else providing that functionality Stephen.

So I take it true "push mail" isn't supported on the Jodohost email servers?

"Push" isn't part of the standard IMAP implementation though, so I think you have something else providing that functionality Stephen.

So I take it true "push mail" isn't supported on the Jodohost email servers?

Chatteremail on centro :)

We don't have server side push.

C'mon Stephen, you are supposed to be on top of the technology. 8)

I asked on Apple Chat and the push service is ONLY available with MobileMe.

Would this be worth a shot? http://z-push.sourceforge.net/soswp/index.php?pages_id=1&t=home. It's what they recommend on the hMailServer forums.

I am, but with apple....I am no fanboy

this app you mention looks alright if you run a WiMO phone, I won't comment too much here but I have had two and hated both with a passion.

I am, but with apple....I am no fanboy

this app you mention looks alright if you run a WiMO phone, I won't comment too much here but I have had two and hated both with a passion.

Wonder if it would work with the Touch since it works with the iPhone. I know a couple of my hosting clients use some sort of phones where they can get their emails.

I have my iPod touch syncing via IMAP and it works well it gets mail typically within 5 minutes that way, not perfect not as fast as my palm with chattermail but good.

All I had to do was disable the SSL check in the settings area.
It works with ssl on a desktop but you can verify the mismatched name on a desktop, ipod/iphone ignores that.

Any update on Jodo supporting push & IDLE? Maybe it already supports IDLE?

already supports IDLE, I use it on my palm centro+chatteremail all the time with an IMAP connection :) Pushes out to me in 10-15 sec after on the server.

I've sent one with a blackberry side by side and mine got it first :) (this is by no means scientific, it could be a server processing it at the time was a little slower or anything, just one minor example, still to say, it is fast.)

Back