Router Bandwidth Monitor

OJM

Perch
I wonder if someone can help me please...

I'll try and explain my senario;

At home we currently have a setup of a PC hardwired into a Netgear DG834G Router/Modem, and 2 other PC's wirelessly connected to it. We have a problem where 1 person might start downloading something, and in turn slowing the other 2 people's internet connection down too.

What I'd like to get hold of, is some kind of software which will allow me to either monitor all the connections into the router, and who's using how much bandwidth. Or, in a perfect world, a piece of software which will enable each PC to determine how much bandwidth they can use. This will then hopefully allow us to split the 2MB into 3, giving each person a fair amount and nothing more. However, I'd like the software to have the option to easily change the bandwidth, so when only 1 person is using the internet, they can up the bandwidth to the full 100%.

Does anyone know if something like this is available for free?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT - I'm currently running Bandwidth Monitor (bwmonitor.com) on my PC, but this will only allow me to see how much I'm using, and not everyone else.

Yes, I think so (can't find it in the manual, but a link to a SNMP setup page on the router, works)

hi all, i have a similar proble as OJR.

i'm using a BT Business Hub 2700HGV which as far as i can tell doesn't support snmp, i can't find it anywhere and can't find anything in the technical specs of the 2wire product. i had a play with perfmon but as not all puters in the house are on the LAN it isn't really much use. being in a shared house with 7 systems at the moment i'd really like to be able to slap the arguees with hard proof of who the hogger is. we have x-box users ps3 users and various pc/laptop users. seeing the hub in the house broke and i installed this one, every time the connections slow, i get a tap on my door "do you know why the internets slow"?

what would be the simplest way to monitor the users?

any help would be much appreciated, i think i'm gonna start charging my landlord administration fees. lol

If you have an older computer laying around (like anything over a pentium 100) you could do a small router that sits between the BT provided quasi router and act as a monitoring agent as well. You would need it to have two nic's most places have some cheap realtek's that will work fine any 10/100 card really.

From there have the two nic's make one the WAN(plug into BT provided 2wire unit) then the LAN(obviously to the switch others are connected, if you don't have a 10/100 switch you can get one for $30 or less, if you want a switch that has SNMP and do double good monitoring of every switch port you could go with managed switch like the D-Link DES-3226L that has SNMP per port monitoring as well, but I think a router with IPcop could get the IP to bandiwdth stats you need as per the DHCP well enough.

http://www.ipcop.org/

It is easy enough to install, not EASY but also not too complex. From what I have given here you could but this as an intermediate device between several types of networks including those having WiFi by putting the wifi bridge on the switch that is connected to the LAN port of the ipcop router.

Also something that is neat is that if you find someone is file sharing/gaming or something like this that is killing the net for all, you could so a QoS filter so that they can still do it, but that it won't kill the net for everyone else.

Back