RPC Server is Unavailable

I occasionally get this error message when trying to log onto my websites. It just happened a few minutes ago. Once I hit refresh, everything is OK, so there is no way of knowing how frequent this problem occurs, or why... any ideas?

This should not happen again. We believe this was connected with an issue with our DNS server which we corrected. You are the only customer reporting this so the frequency must have been very very small.

RPC errors can happen for multiple reasons

It has happened to me once at JH, but at my previous host this happened a lot, but their suppport never gave me any explanation.
Hope you can find out why this happens.

Well it just happened to me and I have noticed significant speed slowdowns since last night...It appears to be worse with pages that use the filesystemobject...and then it comes back up again...so it's hard to file a support ticket because I don't want to be told "We don't see a problem, please check again."

Obviously this isn't fixed!

At my last host they had the same problem. It was usually someone's ASP script running in a continuous loop.

Could be, but since I clicked refresh and it worked again, I am not sure it was a loop or else, then I would have problems a few seconds later, no??

It might not be you, it might be someone else on the server causing the problem.

Something else to try is to close down all your browsers (i'm assuming you are using IE) and try again. IE will sometimes cache the error page.

I wasn't suggesting it was me, but loops affect the whole server; therefore, it would affect us all...regardless of which site is running the script.

It also cannot be the cache because I only received the error once and then I refreshed the page and it was working again....which doesn't sound like a loop is affecting the server. That is all I am suggesting. It's possible though, just wanted to offer what I saw in the hopes of finding the reason.

I saw it once on 8-22 or 8-23 on one of my sites that runs a SOOP portal with an Access database. When I refreshed it, it was ok.

Nathan said:
It has just happened to me a couple of times, and now all my sites show the main home page with a "site under construction" message!

www.agni.gr

Nathan

Your site was being monitored for bandwidth and CPU usage. We disabled it temporarily hence the under construction message. Your site is using quite a bit of bandwidth as you yourself have complaint. We were investigating that

LegalAlien said:
hmmm - my monitoring service shows an outage early this morning for at least 30 minutes... ?(

There was no outage for 30 minutes according to our records. However, the server was down for about 5 to 10 minutes and subsequently restarted around that time. Very often, depending on the check time of your system, the outage can be reported much longer than it actually is. We'll be setting up our own public monitoring system

devorem said:
I saw it once on 8-22 or 8-23 on one of my sites that runs a SOOP portal with an Access database. When I refreshed it, it was ok.
We are looking into this issue. We appologize for the inconvenience

LegalAlien said:
this error message just happened again.

im refreshing your site for the last few minutes, no error here. The server is currently at its lowest load probably and 50% of the ram is unused. Nothing in the error logs either

Anyway, we are monitoring this closely

Yash, FYI

I was posting to a page earlier and got the same error on one of my sites as well but when I hit refresh it went away and I haven't seen the error since.

Yash said:
im refreshing your site for the last few minutes, no error here. The server is currently at its lowest load probably and 50% of the ram is unused. Nothing in the error logs either

Anyway, we are monitoring this closely

Thanks Yash - as before, whenever it does happen, it immediately disappears if you hit refresh. I'll email you the site address it happened on. I don't think it's a big deal but thought I should mention it.

Back