Software versions

bro

Perch
I have a request to provide details of operating system versions from a user for a requirements document.
Their site is on win4, and they intend to create a new MSSQL database for a new project using .net. Not having a clue about MSSQL or .net, I'm not in a position to answer much of what they will need to know. So...

What Windows versions is used?
What IIS version?
What .Net version?
What trust level (including what trust/permissions they can't be given, that they might think they'll get. and what ones they are going to have to ask for..)?
What MS SQL Server version?
Authentication level?
Frontpage IIS Server extensions support?
etc.
Basically, I'd be grateful if someone can list anything they are likely to need to know, including what tools they will have available.

I would appreciate an authoritative answer on this. Let me know if I need to place a ticket. thanks

Well on Win4, it is Windows 2000, I would highly recommend a move to one of the windows 2003 servers first.

From the questions they are asking it sounds like they may want asp.net 2.0 which would require a server change.

MSSQL is 2000, SP4, 2005 is not supported and we are not sure when it will be.
Trust level is a custom with a base in medium + some odbc, ole, oracledb permissions and some other custom permissions as well.
We are willing to modify the trust to accomidate some apps, but we will not alter those that pose a security risk.

thanks, I'll recommend the move to another server.

Last time I moved a site I copied all the files to a new account and changed the nameserver setting for the domain (ns1,2 -> ns3,4). This brought the site down for a day.
So what is the recommended way to achieve this? Can the account be moved to a server so that it won't require a nameserver change?

bro said:
So what is the recommended way to achieve this? Can the account be moved to a server so that it won't require a nameserver change?

Indeed, what is the best way to move a site to a new server? I have a couple I'd like to move.

Tim

If it is Windows to Windows OR Linux to Linux move, then this can be done through control panel and there will be no downtime for any site/service. But if it is windows to linux or linux to windows, then the only way for move is deletion of current account and then recreation of the same under different plan (Linux/Windows). In case of account recreation, nameservers will be changed from ns1/ns2 to ns3/ns4. This may cause downtime for site, because of DNS propogation.

Nidhi said:
If it is Windows to Windows OR Linux to Linux move, then this can be done through control panel and there will be no downtime for any site/service. But if it is windows to linux or linux to windows, then the only way for move is deletion of current account and then recreation of the same under different plan (Linux/Windows). In case of account recreation, nameservers will be changed from ns1/ns2 to ns3/ns4. This may cause downtime for site, because of DNS propogation.

Can you give us documenation or step by step how-to for windows to windows? I am curious myself

twoolums said:
Can you give us documenation or step by step how-to for windows to windows?

This can be done through hosting providers only (not through reseller CP). If you want to change physical server for any of your account, then open a ticket with account details, and we will make it possible.

Nidhi is correct in all of this, we can process this from our admin cp, with a ticket request.

Moves from/to the same OS can be done automated, other moves can not, using the automated method won't change nameservers, using non-automated delete an move method will.

Hi, I would also like to know exact software version information for a client - currently their site is on win9 and would like to know the versions of:

MS SQL
IIS
ASP.Net

Thanks...

Thanks for super-quick response.

This particular website domain is set up in a general account with a whole lot of other domains. If we set up a new account just for this website/domain a) will it be on one of the new servers, and b) are you able to move a single domain from one Windows account to another if requested with a ticket request.

Regards...

Ok, let me reframe my question.

My client would like to use the higher version of ASP.Net - will I be able to have his domain moved from one account to another?

Yes, there is a $10 charge for the move, but it moves the whole account not just the domain.

If you wish to setup an account for this other domain, we can assist in this move by gathering and moving the files, but you will need to ask sales how this would work.

Otherwise you could just zip it and move over, but mail accounts on the domain would be lost in this move.

Back