SQL 2005 on mssql10...Not Sure I'm ready

Amar556

Guppy
Hi guys,

Its great that your upgrading technology to the latest SQL 2005, but I'm not necessarily ready to migrate my environment to the new DB.

Is it possible to continue to create new databases with SQL 2000? I know creating a new DB right now will create it in mssql10 which is loaded with SQL 2005. Are there plans to give an option of 2000 or 2005? I wasnt prepared to suddenly migrate to 2005.

My issues mainly deal with Import/Export of table data from local environment to remote connection. The 2005 Management Studio Express does not include that feature.

All new DBs are on SQL 2005 unless it is on an account already having SQL 2000, so therefore just add a new db on an account already on mssql1-9 and you will be on SQL 2000 :)

Thanks Stephen. That makes sense for any of my previous accounts but for new customers (I'm a reseller) all their DBs will be in 2005 now.

What version of SQL Server 2005 do you recommend that I get to ensure I can connect remotely and also perform Import/Export functionality.
I get the feeling I have to get not only SQL Server 2005, but also Visual Studio 2005. Thats a lot to switch over to all of a sudden.

Amar,

Import/Export can be done in man ways, SQL Integration Services is a very powerful tool that can more than you are able to do with SQL 2000.

Back