SQL Server error: permission denied

Dave

Perch
I am trying to install the SQL Server version of the forum that I use on my site (which currently runs on MS Access). The forum includes an asp file that creates the tables and stored procedures, etc. I used the MS Access upsize wizard to upsize the tables to SQL Server, then ran the ASP page that creates the rest. All of my upsized table show my account (or username) as the owner, but for everything created by the script has an owner of "dbo". When I try to run the forum I get this error:

EXECUTE permission denied on object 'wwfSpSelectConfiguration', database 'mydbname', owner 'dbo'.

I'm not sure, but it looks like because I log in with a username other than dbo that I don't have permission to access this object.

Do I need to somehow change the owner to my username (which I don't know how to do), or is there some other problem?

Thanks for any assistance. By the way, I'm trying to install WebWizGuide Forums. Maybe someone else here has the SQL Server version running?

I had this problem and JodoHost fixed it by giving my account permission for stored procedures or something. All I know is that it's definitely fixable.

I found where I could add my username to the db_owner group, but I don't seem to have enough permissions to do that, or a lot of other things in my own database. Seems kind of weird. Maybe I have to log in as dbo, but I don't know that password.

We'll have to give the user you are logging in with (in your script) DBO permissions. Let me know which database and user you'd like these permissions to be given. Open a ticket if you want this info to be private

Yash said:
We'll have to give the user you are logging in with (in your script) DBO permissions. Let me know which database and user you'd like these permissions to be given. Open a ticket if you want this info to be private
I seemed to have solved this particular problem. I changed the name of the user in the script that created the db objects from "dbo" to my own username. That created all the objects with my username.

However, I don't understand why I don't have full dbo permissions for my own database with my own account. That may cause other problems down the road.

I'll open a ticket. Thanks, Yash.

Thank you. The change has been made for me. I appreciate the speed that you guys respond to issues!

Hello,

I am hosting a DotNetNuke application on a shared web hosting environment. I have copied the files and restored the database. I get the following error
"EXECUTE permission denied on object 'wwfSpSelectConfiguration', database 'mydbname', owner 'dbo'."

I changed the databaseowner from "dbo" to my dbuser in the web.config file. and now I get this error:
"System.ArgumentException: Parameter count does not match Parameter Value count."

I am not able to figure out the issue. Can someone please help me?

Thanks
Mangala

"EXECUTE permission denied on object 'wwfSpSelectConfiguration', database 'mydbname', owner 'dbo'."
Here you need db_owner permission for your SQL user.

The shared web hosting that we have taken, they do not give do no give access to the user as a db owner as their policy. Instead, the user that is created for our db has access to create, insert etc.

What other steps do I need to take in order to solve this?

Thanks

Back