Standard Title - couple 'o presales ??'s

First of all let me tell you... when I go looking for any hosting or web based service the first thing I look for is an active hosting community forum section. This one impressed me right off the bat.

A couple of questions:

1. Is shared/reseller hosting done on a physical server or on a VPS? Meaning - when I get a reseller account for ASP.NET is the IIS I am using running on a VPS or is running on the native/physical server.

2. Do you allow scheduling of a. Cron jobs in linux and b. ASP.NET jobs in Windows (i.e. have job1.aspx run at 01:00 every day)

3. Do you offer the complete line of hosting as far as an upgrade path. Shared --> VPS --> Dedicated

4. If there are ever problem with the site where these forums are hosting is there another site (on a different network, different server, different DNS) that customers can get to to get status information about any outages?

5. Do you know of any problem with hosting Community Server here?

6. I can probably go read on this one but real quick. Can my ASP.NET hosting have multiple databases or do I have pay extra for each database? (never mind. Read it. Multiples on reseller. Singular on shared hosting by can pay for more)

7. What is your database staffing? At another asp.net hosting company I had a SQL Server database problem (that I had created) that rendered my database unusable and required dba intervention. I had to wait until the next morning for a DBA to come in and resolve the issue. I left that hosting company immediately.

8. What does this mean (from the reseller page): "All Reseller plans include Windows, Linux and VPS Hosting". I can set up multiple windows accounts. I can set up multiple linux account. But I don't understand the VPS part.

Thanks - I am already 3/4 sold by the existence of forums.
Patrick

1. We have a large server Cluster consisting of different kind of servers. These are mail servers, MS SQL Servers, DNS Servers, CP Server, Web Server (Windows and Linux). A reseller creates server specific hosting plans ie Windows(asp.net but without Cold Fusion), Windows(Cold Fusion but without asp.net) and Linux. An end-user accounts is created on a dedicated web servers depending on hosting plan under which that account was signed up.

2. a. Cron jobs in linux - Yes b. ASP.NET jobs in Windows - Not allow.

3. We currently offer Shared and VPS Hosting. We do not have enough space for Dedicated server hosting at the moment. Dedicated server and Co-location will be available in February/March.

4. We have server status page hosted away from our network. If for some reason our network is not available, we provide updates there.

5. Do you know of any problem with hosting Community Server here? - No.

6. In reseller accounts, Reseller decides how to use the plan disk space. Only one restriction, no single account can use 33% of plan disk space.

7. We work in 3 shifts, 7 days. Some shifts have upto 8-10 tech working.

8. We have Linux VPS server included in Reseller Plan (currently on hold). You can offer Linux VPS Hosting to your customers.

Can you please address #6 again - it had to do with SQL Server databases and I did not understand the answer.

For #7 - Do you always have a dedicated SQL Server DBA onsite or is this just a shared job?

Thanks,
Patrick

1. We place no restriction on how you make plans to use disk space on Mail, Web or Database server (MS SQL also). It is possible to make plans to use less space on Web Server and most of the space on Database server. With regards to 33% restriction, suppose you take LiteHost Plan, it comes with 3 GB disk space. So, the largest plan that you can offer to your customers, can have 1 GB of disk space.

2. We currently have 9 dedicated MS SQL servers in H-Sphere Cluster. Generally every shift has a capable person to handle MS SQL issue. We serve our customers with full-time people working for us in India or US.

6. you can have any number of databases for your asp.net hosting.

7. We always have a tech in each shift, responsible for this so this will not be an issue with us.

Regarding MSSQL admins we now have a full windows team that is staffed all the time for a windows specialized tech. We have 5 members of this team 99% of items can be handled by them the other 1% is me, and that is mostly on policy issues not on technical details.

Back