Stats & the US

Logan

Perch
I've been checking my stats lately and notice that most of my US traffic comes from the state of Virginia. I highly doubt that there's enough people in that state to justify these numbers, so I'm wondering... Is that where AOL's main proxy servers are, or at least the ones for the east coast? Anyone know?

Is it webalizer you use? Didn't notice it could tell you the state the visitors were from (unless you "decode" it from the hostname).
A lot of my visitors ar from US government :( (wondering if we have to see "US Government" as more than only ministries etc)

Regards..

Logan said:
I've been checking my stats lately and notice that most of my US traffic comes from the state of Virginia. I highly doubt that there's enough people in that state to justify these numbers, so I'm wondering... Is that where AOL's main proxy servers are, or at least the ones for the east coast? Anyone know?

Not sure, but I think all visitors using AOL as an ISP are classified as traffic from Virginia, where AOL's servers are located.

riley

AOL does operate a lot of proxies as well, and they are out of virginia, I have seen some claim to be Mclean(sp?) Virginia I believe.

In addition, because AOL uses so many proxy servers, the number of visitors becomes inflated for low volume sites.

Take a look at the raw logs for someone using AOL. Each visitor has 20 or 30 different IP addresses. So if you have two actual visitors and one is from AOL, it shows up in most reports as 31 visitors, 30 of whom were from AOL.

It makes it really hard to determine the actual number of visitors.

Mycroft said:
In addition, because AOL uses so many proxy servers, the number of visitors becomes inflated for low volume sites.

Interesting. I was never really concerned about the number of visitors because I have no real idea what is good vs. bad. However I was a little concerned about the bandwidth traffic. I doubt that one user is responsibile for the traffic I see going to Virginia, and one of the other stats that WebLog Expert shows is the percentage of traffic by ISP, which is where I cam to the conclusion that it must be an AOL proxy/gateway server.

Back