Storing files in home dir

Kensino

Perch
I need a safe off-site place to store backups of some data. Is it safe to store files in your home directory? I know that its not supposed to be browsable/accessable by the public, but I want to make sure that its really safe. Any chance someone can get to that data or that a search engine can read the data in there? The files will be inside a backup directory that's located in the home directory.

Also how secure are the passwords you put on a zip file? Can they be hacked easily? I've never used them before.

You can upload your data outside your domain directory with some permissions like 600. Search engines won't read there unless some your site has links to it. If data is really critical, you can routinely burn it on a CD or use a professional backup service.
Zip passwords can be cracked as well, but better to have one than none.

My 2 cents worth-

Your online stuff is at the minimum is always stored in server back ups, though chances of getting it leaked is minimal there.

If your data is some financial data and its must for you to store files online you can use some strong encryption program to encrypt them before uploading. This way the files even exist in backup of the hosting provider difficult to hack.

But you will have to decrypt them every time you download it.

Cheers
Yogi

Very valid suggestion to encrypt before uploading if the data is that critical.

Back