Stupid question.... a little help please?

Hello,

I've never used MS Outlook before in the past for the most part, and I can't seem to figure out how to switch between different accounts. I've got a couple of email addresses that I just set up in Outlook. I can't figure out how to switch between the accounts. If I'm going through emails in one account and I need to switch to another account, how do I do that?

By the way, I realize that this is probably a ridiculous question, but I can't seem to find the menu option or button I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Need a bit more information on what you mean "switch account". But here is my thoughts:

To retrieve e-mail from all accounts you have registered do the following:
Got to Tools->Accounts. On each account click its properties and check "Include this account when receiving mail or syncronization". This will retrieve e-mail all time when you click "Send/Receive".
You can do this also manually, but going to "Tools->Send/Receive->Your Account".

To send e-mail with account other than default, do:
Write your e-mail, then "File->Send using->Your account".

mrb061982 said:
Hello,

I've never used MS Outlook before in the past for the most part, and I can't seem to figure out how to switch between different accounts. I've got a couple of email addresses that I just set up in Outlook. I can't figure out how to switch between the accounts. If I'm going through emails in one account and I need to switch to another account, how do I do that?

By the way, I realize that this is probably a ridiculous question, but I can't seem to find the menu option or button I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan
Like St Patrick, I'm taking a guess at what exactly it is you are trying to achieve. I have numerous e-mail accounts set up in Outlook. I don't redirect where the mail from each account goes to since they are all my accounts, but that can be done. You need to use the Rules Wizard in the Tools menu to do that.

If you are trying to SEND from a specific account, instead of the default, you can do that by starting a new message, then click on Accounts on the toolbar. A list of your accounts will be display in a list, and you just pick the one you want. If you want to see the From field (which I think is off by default) click on the View menu and select From Field.

If none of these scenarios doesn't address your question, you'll have to be a bit more specific in your description of the problem.

Edit: I should mention that I am referring to Outlook 2002. If you have a different version there may or may not be some differences.

When I hit create new mail the window with the mail item actually has a 'From' drop down list box where I am able to change what account the email is sent from. I am using Outlook 2000. I tried looking in all my settings and couldn't find anything that seemed to relate to this feature, maybe you could look into it a little deaper. And I do have one account set as a defualt.

KJTFS

Hi,

I know exactly the problem being experienced. I'm surfing looking for an answer.
In Outlook Express, if you have two separate mail accounts, you have the option File>Switch Identities that allows you to switch between accounts and see the Inbox and other contents for one or the other account.
I have just set up two accounts in Outlook 2000, but I do not see an option to switch to seeing my inbox for my second account. I seem to be stuck in the first account.

OK, I think I found my own answer.

It appears you cannot view or manage your incoming mail in separate Inboxes for separate accounts in Outlook 2000. I guess you could route mail to different user-defined folders based on the addressee name. Or you could have separate identities, requiring a logon to Windows as a separate user. But if you want to manage two accounts completely separately within the same identity, you need to stick with Outlook Express.

Your best bet would be to run the rules wizard, and route them to different folders. But I really think it depends upon the type of account. If it's an HTTP account, you'll get it separated from the rest, but POP accounts, I believe, stay bunched with the rest. I think that's the case with Outlook Express as well.

If any of you have found a way to separate the POP email accounts from the rest, please, feel free to tell me. I'd be so grateful I'd lick a frog. :)

It's possible to separate pop accounts in Outlook Express 6. That's how I'm currently set up, and I'm not going to switch over to Outlook.
In Outlook Express 6, you set up separate identities within Outlook Express (not Windows identities). Then, under File, you can click "switch identities" and select another identity. Each identity can be assigned it's own pop account.
This works great.
There's no way I can possibly combine my accounts in one Inbox. One account is for work and so far is unknown to spammers. The other is an account I use for posting, and I have to run several different spam elimination engines on it to keep it usable. It's incredible that it hasn't occurred to Microsoft that a person might want more than one mail account, and might want to keep them separate.

Back