Summary Disk Usage Changes

Bliss

Perch
Just wondering, what are the changes to the plans? All I see is that we don't have unlimited domains anymore.

Another problem, with the summary disk usage change, my account hasn't taken that change yet of course, but my usage measurer doesn't work anymore and I have no idea how much space I'm using.

Hi Bliss

Even under the old system, the limiting factor for the number of domains you can host was Mail Boxes. In the old 20 Mail Box package, you could only comfortably host 4 or 5 domains. We have given the same number of domains free with the new package plus with a large number of mail boxes so you never fall short.

The main advantage of SDU is for database users. Now, there will be no 10MB separate quota for SQL databases. You can have as big as a database as you want under the amount of summary disk space allotted to you.

Summary Disk Usage will come into effect for existing customers only when their new billing period starts. This has been done to give them time to choose if they'd like to continue with us.

As for your non-functional disk space indicator, please send a support ticket

Just to give everyone a practical example on how you can exploit the system:

Suppose you run a forum that needs a 100MB SQL database. The basic package comes with 150MB Summary Disk Space (SDS). You can now easily create this 100MB database and leave 50MB for your email accounts and web files without being overcharged. Many might think 50MB is too little for email accounts and web files. In fact, it isn't because only actual usage counts against how much SDS you have used. So if you create 10, 5MB mail boxes, that doesnt mean you have used 50MB SDS, only the amount of space used in those mail boxes gets counted. And even if you are heavy email user, the amount of SDS you may have a used from your mail boxes may be next to nothing! Why?

Simply because the SDU system is based on average SDS usage. Every 24 hours, the amount of SDS you used (not allocated) is calculated. At the end of the month, the average SDS usage is taken out and only that counts towards how much you have used.

sounds good. Although I'd miss the unlimited domain scheme a little. I was just able to manage 6 domains, now I'd have to pay $1/month extra for it :(

But I can't wait to increase my MS SQL Db quota to 100MB! :) :)

Yeah, part of my decision to come here was the hosting of unlimited domains. Now it's extra... it doesn't really cost anything to add mx records so I can't imagine why hosting companies insist on charging someone as little as $1 per month for extra domains. If I had a hosting company, I'd rather suck-up the dollar and then brag to the world that my hosting company has unlimited domains for free and attract more people because of it.
-Dave

Yeah, but I think the problem is that with too many domains pointing to the same server, the server might be getting too bogged down or something.

Nah, I don't mind it at all. $1/month extra is pretty reasonable I'd say. I haven't seen a single host that allows you unlimited domains. I've not seen a single host that allows you multiple domains at $6.99/month :)

I use MS SQL very heavily for a developer site so this is going to immensely benefit me :)

we had customers hosting 60 to 70 domains per account. Due to this, the load per server was increasing day by day at a really fast rate at would eventually adversely affect speeds and performance on each server. Our only choice was to make hosting more domains a tad more expensive.

We can't afford a high domains per customer ratio at how low we charge and how much we pay for our servers and to our employees. Probably if we oversell resources we could, but we don't. We want to maintain a certain standard of performance and speeds

Originally posted by WineIsGood
Now it's extra... it doesn't really cost anything to add mx records so I can't imagine why hosting companies insist on charging someone as little as $1 per month for extra domains.

It's not just about adding MX records. It's about resource usage by that domain. Consider a $29.99/month customer is using 25% of our processor and RAM resources in hosting 70 his or her domains. Would that be profitable to us? No. We would have to either oversell or increase our package prices.

I do understand your economics about unlimited domains. If this will ensure that if server performance remains the same, I dont mind at all. Maybe customers hosting 60 domains will, but I am not one of them.

My question is why didn't you think of this before. Why did you ever introduce the unlimited domain scheme?

Originally posted by FreeWilly
My question is why didn't you think of this before. Why did you ever introduce the unlimited domain scheme?

I repeat, the unlimited domain scheme wasn't really unlimited. You still had to pay for additional domains in the terms of mail boxes. But the price for mail boxes was very cheap. So people were hosting say 10 additional domains by paying just $1/month extra. We never anticipated this problem. We just made adding extra domains more expensive now

It's sad no one is looking at the SDU system. Creating a 100MB MS SQL database for $6.99 by any standards is unmatched.

I take JodoHost's enterprise package though which is for $49.99. And at that price, now Im going to be able to create 1, 1GB MS SQL database and 3, 250 MS SQL databases. That is fantastic and Im extremely happy. I've not found any plan that compare's to what jodo is offering

Yep, I agree with Mike, SDU is extremly good, dunno, maybe because I don't use many domains (only one as I remember right, lol), but I do use SQL database :)

Originally posted by Yash
we had customers hosting 60 to 70 domains per account. Due to this, the load per server was increasing day by day at a really fast rate at would eventually adversely affect speeds and performance on each server. Our only choice was to make hosting more domains a tad more expensive.

why dont you add more servers than. You have to for expanding and accomodating new customers.

Originally posted by rohan

why dont you add more servers than. You have to for expanding and accomodating new customers.

I dont think you understood what I said. We don't mind adding new servers and we have done that in the past and plan to add more as we expand.

But the costs of keeping JodoHost running are substantial too. Having 50 customers supporting 2 servers is not profitable. We need about 100 customers supporting each server. To do that, we need to restrict the number of domains a customer can have since each domain added takes up resources.

Anybody sees changes in the Disk limit? I bet I didn't catch something, but I have a Win Pro package, which stays for 200MB, and in HSPHERE I see that I have a limit of 100MB.. Something is wrong here?

Cheers :)

I corrected that for you. I'll be making an announcement regarding disappearing/invalid quotas shortly

Back