Sunday support......??

I am having a nightmare with sunday support.

My site is not accessible for the past 8 hrs, and the support people are not in a position to fix it.

The same problem has occured once before and at that time, the same problem was fixed in a matter of minutes. Today, the support just sucks.

Problem : full description in ticket #ELN-71817-486.

http://www.arjunprabhu.com/blog/ isn't loading up. All the other pages work fine. (eg: http://www.arjunprabhu.com/blog/contact/
http://www.arjunprabhu.com/blog/archives/2005/05/04/data-recovery/ etc..)

The page : http://www.arjunprabhu.com/blog/ is an entry page and very critical.

The problem started to occur today at around 3 PM IST.

Initially, the database was down due to "too many connections".

Spoke to Nidhi over live chat. .... and she/he set right the database. After that the above mentioned problem started up.

Response : Looking into it. Give me 15 mins.

No change in situation for more then 1.5 hrs. Raised a ticket mentioned above.

No use. Yogesh workin on ticket.....
7.30 PM same situation. No change.

at around 7.45 PM, called up yogesh, spoke to him over phone. Sounded as if he was loaded with work, and since it was sunday, clearly, I guess he was the only person.

No live support.

At around 8.45 PM IST, live support up. Spoke to Ranjan..over live support. again explained the problem..

Response : .. give me 20/30 mins...

11.50 PM IST.... after numerous tries over live support (no one accepting the chat!) ...etc....still no change in state...

Is this what 24x7x365 all about ?
Can anyone look into this and help me solve the problem ?

Arjun, we apologize for the delayed response. But your issue was certainely related to your blog installation and wasnt any serverwide issue. Every PHP+MySQL application was working fine from the server(for example, our ticketing system that you used and my own test Wordpress install).

Also, i would like to mention that the issue resolution was not done because of your forum post, but it was already being looked into and it may take sometime when it comes to programming specific issues.

tanmaya said:
But your issue was certainely related to your blog installation and wasnt any serverwide issue. Every PHP+MySQL application was working fine from the server(for example, our ticketing system that you used and my own test Wordpress install).

Also, i would like to mention that the issue resolution was not done because of your forum post, but it was already being looked into and it may take sometime when it comes to programming specific issues.

Can you let me know what exactly the issue was ?

The site was working pefectly fine till 3 PM IST.

Then there was a database outrage (too many
connections). Even your support/ticket page was giving
the same database error!!. After that, when the
database was set right, this problem started.

I haven't changed / modified or uploaded any file nor
made any changes to the blog.
Can the problem with the blog comeup all by itself?

As you mentioned, if it was a blog/code issue, then some of the files would have been modified on my account. But, I dont see any changes made to the files on my account. The timestamps are still the same old ones.

Arjun, our support system is on the same server and uses the same MySQL database as your blog does. MySQL couldn't have been down for anywhere more than 5 minutes otherwise our support operations would have been paralysed.

I'll let tanmaya answer what was the exact issue with your code. He's on night shift so you can expect him to answer after 10PM IST

Yash said:
Arjun, our support system is on the same server and uses the same MySQL database as your blog does. MySQL couldn't have been down for anywhere more than 5 minutes otherwise our support operations would have been paralysed.

I'll let tanmaya answer what was the exact issue with your code. He's on night shift so you can expect an answered after 10PM IST

Yes. Very true. The database was down for a couple of mins, and when i tried to raise a ticket., the ticket system too gave the same database error. (too many connections). Thats why i got over live support (chat), and spoke to Nidhi.

Nidhi corrected the database problem., But immediately after that, the above mentioned problem came up.

Till then everything as fine.

Arjun, we simply reset MySQL services when a "too many connections" issue occurs. The issue is mainly caused by either customer abuse or a large # of dead connections.

A MySQL reset couldn't have possibly caused your blog to crash. I am certain it must have been something with the blog and its installation.

However, I didn't handle this case so I'll let tanmaya let you know on the details.

We do however appologize it took this long to resolve

I never meant you did some changes in your codes. But when it was an issue just specific to you and everything else was running fine, we were forced to look into the codes to backtrace the issue. This is what took time. At last we reran your install script and this fixed it.

Back