Temporary ASP.NET Files Permission Issues?

I keep getting these weird errors that have to do with permission issues with the Temporary ASP.NET Files folder.

I've searched all over Google and nearly all the people that mention this error are trying to upload files. However, I get it on pages that do no uploading at all so their fixes for it won't work for me. My upload pages seem to be fine. Actually, some of the pages that are throwing this error don't even consistently throw it. There are a few that throw it every time though.

The other annoying thing is that the error message won't even say what file is causing it. Those errors usually tell you what file and what line of code.

I've been struggling with this so long already, so I thought I had better post here to see if anyone has any ideas? This thing is driving me crazy.

Here's the error message:

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\c6f9e541\e1ac17d2\uploads\cfzpl72i.tmp'. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy) at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access) at System.CodeDom.Compiler.TempFileCollection.EnsureTempNameCreated() at System.CodeDom.Compiler.TempFileCollection.AddExtension(String fileExtension, Boolean keepFile) at System.Web.HttpRawUploadedContent.TempFile..ctor() at System.Web.HttpRawUploadedContent.AddBytes(Byte[] data, Int32 offset, Int32 length) at System.Web.HttpRequest.GetEntireRawContent() at System.Web.HttpRequest.FillInFormCollection() at System.Web.HttpRequest.get_Form() at System.Web.HttpRequest.get_HasForm() at System.Web.UI.Page.GetCollectionBasedOnMethod(Boolean dontReturnNull) at System.Web.UI.Page.DeterminePostBackMode() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Thanks!

I have seen this a few times in tickets, but not a really common thing.
Is this using 2.0/3.0/3.5 coding? (just to be clear) we've seen it a bit on the 3.5 code to my recollection.

I know what causes this, but I don't think it's on every server.

Any HTTP POST > 80KB (or thereabouts) results in a failure as asp.net attempts to spool the data out to the temporary folder.

You can see this just with a regular textarea where you paste in about 80KB of text, or experience it in a file upload.

What triggered it for me was a page with a sizable viewstate on postback

On other servers, I don't have this problem, so I assume it's a problem with win2 or whatever it is I'm on

I'll open a ticket and see if support can confirm my suspicions

Back