Transferring to Jodo

Ok... let's say I have my service domain as myservicedomain.com and it currently is held at another hsphere host.

I do NOT not want to move all of my (small number) of clients to Jodo right away. I would like to leave some where they are and test some at Jodo.

I take it I will need to have a different service domain which means I would have different DNS server names, which means I would have different mail servers... right?

I guess I am looking for recommendations on slowly moving people over.

I own the .com and the .net equivalent of my domain so I thought about using the .net version for the service domain at jodo.

Anyway... give me some recommendations please.

Thanks

A different service domain would be highly recommended, yes the mail servers would change.

As for mail, they would change names as well.

Stephen said:
A different service domain would be highly recommended, yes the mail servers would change.

As for mail, they would change names as well.

I have the .com as the service domain and the .net is just an alias. I take it I just remove the alias, then go to my registrar and change its name servers to the new ones I would get once here?

Will I eventually be able to use the .com domain here to be the reseller domain or will I just be able to alias it again?

Thanks

The .net version of my service domain is exactly how I moved to Jodohost. I am actually still using both hosts.

I highly recommend doing it that way if possible.

Thats how I did it as well. I had the .net version on the old host, and used the .co.uk for jodo. Worked fine.

The only 'issue' I had was with the dns name servers resolving over from the old to the new.

Local p.c.s, internet access providers and obscure routes may and do 'cache' ips to domain names. It caused the most aggravation.

However if you read up on 'ip caching' (I think theirs a load of threads on these forums about it) you can advise customers if there are problems :D i.e its all their fault cos their pc is caching the old dns server address.

I just cloned the sites - 1 copy old server 1 copy new server then hid away while it all resolved to the new addresses!

Just keep a check on the 'old' email address inboxes in case stray mail goes them, also check that smart customers havnt 'stored' mail in folders on the old server using the webmail - cos you may delete all their v.important saved mail (guess how I know :D )

Also databases may be updated to the old server for a while.

The important thing is to remember that what YOU see is not necessarily the SAME server as the customer sees - due to the lag in dns server propagation

Its really not that bad

The worst sites to migrate like that are dynamic sites driven by Access databases :(

If a site is using MySQL or SQL Server (etc), you can usually modify some configuration file so both mirrored sites use the same database. One of the sites will probably run a little slower than usual, but you won't have any synchronization problems.

With Access databases it's not really an option on a heavily updated site. If you want to keep such a site fully accessible, it's best to move things over once and put up an 'URL cloaking' framepage on the old server, directing it to the new server using the instant activation URL.

Add a little spice to the scenario

I am going to take this further. I have been contemplating doing exactly as described in trying to create a super-reliable hosting plan for customers. I am assuming I have a myd.net as service domain on anothet HSphere host while the myd.com service domain resides on JODO.

Plain HTML website
This has to be the most straight forward to handle. I would create exact duplicates of the entire website and have their domain registration point to four NameServers, two with myd.net and two more myd.com. The problem arises with email; how are things handled? I did consider turning one into a mail-relay and delivering all email into another. This would be a matter of modifying DNS records within the NameServers, something called Domain Zones in HSphere terms? I think is the email configuration issue can be solved, then the solution outlined above is possible.

MySQL powered PHP-driven dynamic sites
These would be a little trickier to handle. While on the surface, php scripts are easily duplicated and a comprehensive development methodology would require any update/changes to be effected to both sites, the database portion is a headache. What solution is possible? I did consider mirror technology but have failed to get adequate ionformation on how to do this.

Of course the above scenario cannot be implemented if the customer is not informed that there are two control panels controlling a single domain. It will only work if the customer if the dodo-type who leaves everything to you the hosting provider.

Back