VPS questions

jeden

Guppy
Hello,

I'm a Windows Hosting user, happy indeed :)

A client of mine asked me to develop an application to provide content to mobile users via SMS - so, it's not a web-based service. It consists of a few java processes, a mysql database, a connection to a mobile operator to send/receive SMS, and a module which retrieves content from selected content providers throght internet.

I'm wondering whether such application can be hosted on a VPS instead of asking him to buy the hardware and set up a small server farm, since he told me he wants to reduce costs. Also, does the VPS include any database, or do I have to install and manage mysql by myself? And what about java?

Moreover, I noticed that VPS is included in the reseller plans - I thought several times to move to a reseller plan, just to be able to offer web hosting as an additional service to my customers.

I'd like to hear the opinion from both a jodohost representative and jodohost users:

- is this kind of hosting feasible?
- other than for performance & costs (both hardware and software), is there any difference between using hosting and in-house hardware?

Thank you in advance for any help

Antonio

1) Hi, you can certainly achieve this with a VPS account. However, knowledge of Linux root commands is necessary in order to install and setup the various modules for your project

2) Not really. You can expect pretty good performance off our VPS server

Yash said:
1) Hi, you can certainly achieve this with a VPS account. However, knowledge of Linux root commands is necessary in order to install and setup the various modules for your project

This is not a problem - I'm not a Linux guru, but I'm able to use it :)

Do I have to install java & mysql?
If yes, the same if I choose a reseller plan?

Also, is there any difference between the VPS plan and the one offered inside the reseller plans?

Yash said:
2) Not really. You can expect pretty good performance off our VPS server

This sounds very good :)

Thanks for your quick answers.
Antonio

Our VPS plans come only with root access and external DNS.. No email, no database. If you want to use them, they need to be installed on the VPS account by yourself.

Even if you create a VPS account via your reseller account, you'd only have root access and external DNS (to point domains to your VPS account or add IPs)

However, a reseller account also allows you to create linux plans. You could use a linux plan to just host database and email for your VPS account. And sites/programs on your VPS account could connect to the database hosted in this linux plan. If you don't have a Reseller account, you could also register a separate linux shared plan which could be used in the same manner.

Fundamentally, there is no difference between the vps account you can create as a reseller and one you may purchase directly from us

Interesting. So in theory I could install Tomcat in the VPS and access an Oracle database
with it? grOOvy :)

BTW

Could you explain more, what does VPS processes means?

How many VPS can be created from a reseller account?

The minimum processes for a working vps(without getting fork errors) is 20 processes.

Yes you could do tomcat and access oracle.

Processes, basically is the limit if you go to top, and see the running processes.

Back