VZ8 is not responding

Well here's the report, power supply bad. While changing the power supply the cpu fan retention bracket snapped, it guess it was brittle. I used an epoxy to make a fix for this, but it is not working and the server is overheating. The way the retention bracket is made on this machine it is not readily replaceable like some motherboards. The epoxy seemed to be working, but the server only ran for about 15 minutes after getting the VPS live again before overheating and now it has turned itself off for safety, so obviously the epoxy did not work to hold the cpu fan down properly.

I am seeing what further we can do to help make this work now. Windows 2003 based Virtuozzo is not able to move to other hardware so that option is off the table here now (Parallels will not issue license for it, it is well past End Of Life). We have given many chances to migrate and upgrade but some have not taken those opportunities due to many various reasons.

I am trying to do what I can to bring this back from the dead now, and get the few remaining virtual machines on it running again. I believe it is 4 VPS running on the node, maybe 5.

Possibly a good news, looks like the issue may be that the cpu fan simply isn't working, as I ran it with the case off and the fan is trying to spin but won't fully start.

All the VPS are up, it was the fan, monitoring temps looks like at full load launching it went to 44C and then back down into low 30s now which is acceptable, as the expoxy sets and hardens fully it should get even a little cooler.

VZ8 is not responding again now, I am on my way back to the datacenter to check it again. It seems that this node and virutozzo on the 2003 servers really is to a point now that it will be very hard to do anything but get files and move on to 2008+ systems. Since we have no ability to make for over a year now any new nodes on the 2003 version, when they encounter errors we moved to others with 2003, and now we are down to just 3 such nodes.

We did just find a virtual machine node that was supposed to have license removed that is still available. We will be putting the machines online from here. Performance may not be 'excellent' but it will be online and that is a big thing right now. It will takes anywhere from 40 minutes to a couple hours to get the servers online.

Last edited:
I was able to get the VPSs going on vz8 node itself, but we are working on the migration of them on an individual basis to the virtual node mentioned above.

The server node is self rebooting itself when the VPS are running, so we are going to stop the VPS that are running, and be copying them to the other node only focusing on getting servers off this node.

We apologize for the unplanned maintenance but it is best because we get you off the node. However it is all a temporary move for what is an inevitable need to upgrade to supported edition of Windows.

Back